Posting History for pianogramma
|Statins: here we go again, or why I retired early from practising medicine
Once again, a respected standard-promulgator of a large medical specialty - in this case the American College of Cardiology - has been persuaded to recommend blanket prescribing of an expensive [or ...
|The Private Side of Republican Crazy
I grew up in a lower middle class Republican family. We had Protestant relatives, lapsed Catholic relatives, rich relatives, even (shame of shame) a divorced relative, but never a Democrat that I ...
|Science Achieves Fiction: "Perfect" Invisibility Cloak
Move aside, flim-flam wizard of Oz. Move aside, magic red shoes. (I saw that Judy Garland's Oz dress sold for $480K this weekend.) We now have a magic invisibility cloak on the horizon. A team at ...
|Anxiety and Elections Here at DKos
Yesterday a worried first-time diarist was hounded to the point of deleting his diary and posting a second diary to apologize for the first. To their credit, Kossacks quickly assured him that some ...
|Minimum Age to Vote, Drink, Smoke, Marry, Fight for Your Country: Our Weird National Disconnect
Dealing with my election anxiety, which thanks to Nate Silver is more or less limited to Republican fraud and voter suppression at this point, I was reviewing the history of voting rights in this ...
|Truth vs Profit in 1898 Louisiana: death from media suppression
My husband startlingly resembles his great-uncle Walter, or rather Walter's photo. Walter died at 28, in 1898, leaving a wife and three young children. The yellow fever that killed him had been ...
|Omen Update: Crows and Rainbows
This is our third double rainbow since the day before the second Presidential debate. As I diaried at 7 AM the day of the debate , the rainbow the day before struck me as a good omen for Obama/...
|Climate Change in the Paranoid Mind: A New Ice Age is Coming!
The "ice age" meme has been around a long time. I recall my John Birch Society father perseverating about it during the Fifties. It has the advantage of being scary, true (several thousand years ...
|Mitt Romney, Tax Revenue Pirate
Not even the stench of Sandy's sewage-filled floodwaters can drown out Romney's smelly, smelly taxes. Calvin Johnson, the tax expert who alleges fraud in Romney's tax returns (diaried here two days ...
|Lawless Greed plus East Coast Hurricane: The Lost Colony of 1590
Watching entitled equity pirate Mitt Romney pretend to care about victims of Hurricane Sandy, after tall ship HMS Bounty sank in the Atlantic, I was reminded just how far back our roots go, here in ...
|Tax Expert Smells a Rat in Romney's Taxes, calls it "fraud" -- UPDATE x 2
In case you missed this by Zach Carter at Huffington today (Oct 29, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/mitt-romney-taxes-calvin-johnson_n_2039899.html, "respected tax attorney and ...
|I want a President who can bluff and dissemble
I want ...a President who can bluff and dissemble when necessary to deal with America's enemies ...a President who can shade the truth for the public good, to get legislation passed or to get a ...
|Sandy as God's Will (not)
Remember how in 2005 the religious right blamed Hurricane Katrina on abortion and gays, calling it a punishment from God? Less than two weeks after the Hurricane, Pat Robertson implied on the ...
|The Extreme "Pro Life" Position as a Psychological Defense
My father, a strict 1930's Catholic, was an officer in the John Birch Society, as I've mentioned elsewhere. Shortly before President Kennedy's assassination, when I was 14, he told me privately in ...
|Rape Sperm, Meet the 21st Century
Much as I'm appalled by the neolithic views Akin, Mourdock, Ryan, Mandel et al have sincerely (!) expressed regarding rape, I share the sensibilities of some diarists who find them hilarious at a ...
|WTF with OFA and Washington State voting
This from a friend in Seattle, where all voting takes place by mail and apparently there are no polling places. Here's what Barack Obama is sending out (emphasis mine): Friend -- This election ...
|If You Want a REALLY SCARY Halloween Costume, go as President Paul Ryan
With all the punditizing over which Mitt will show up in the Oval Office, and about the muzzling of his get-ye-to-a-poorhouse, beans-over-women running mate, has anyone seriously contemplated the ...
|Something That God Intended
I believe life begins at conception. The only exception I have for to have an abortion is in the case of the life of the mother. I struggled with myself for a long time but I came to realize life is ...
|omens: I got a present from a crow
I'm at the stage of anxiety about this election where I start looking for omens. I realize this is irrational, like wearing only black underwear to the Operating Room (as I did throughout my ...
|Abortion and Foreign Policy: Let's hope this comes up in Monday's debate
A timely reminder from an editorial in yesterday's Gray Lady, A World of Harm for Women http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/20/opinion/a-potential-world-of-harm-for-women.html?ref=opinion&_r=0 Romney ...
|Republicans and the Fight Hard, Fight Fair (except me) Mentality
After watching Rachel and Lawrence yesterday, then waking up this morning to see two Rec'd diaries side by side, one about Republicans discarding voter registrations in Virginia, the other about ...
|Republicans, Rape, and Pay Equity
I watched the whole debate. As it progressed, I kept saying to my husband, "thank god Obama brought up women's health in his pay equity answer!" Mitt's mendacious "binders full of women" has gotten ...
|Not to defend Jim Lehrer, but...
What should a moderator do when a debater flagrantly and unfairly ignores the rules? I wanted Lehrer to step in (and if not Lehrer, then the seemingly helpless Obama) when Romney, after insisting on ...
|My Daughter and the ACA: Why We Still Need Single Payer
One of my two daughters was born with a complex, highly variable genetic disorder capable of affecting virtually every organ system and associated with a high risk of cancer. Now approaching 40, she ...
|The Less Obvious Fallacy Beneath the Republican Push for "Personhood"
I didn't expect to post another diary this soon, but Doonesbury went there this morning. http://doonesbury.slate.com/strip/archive/2012/09/30 (Those who missed Trudeau's biting cartoon sequence on "...
|Republicans and the No Abortions, No Exceptions (except for me) Mentality
Here they go again, lining up behind Todd Akin, who delusionally believes he wouldn't abort a fertilized egg to save his own life. I'll bet Paul Ryan, when he called Akin during the "legitimate rape"
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by pianogramma
- Especially when spelling someone's name. There was a diary published the other day that misspelled the name of a victim of a horrendous police assault. Readers suggested the diarist correct the ...163 comments 213 Recs
- I have contended that the greatest power a license to practice law confers is the power to compel powerful people to testify under oath. But police have developed a countermeasure. It’s called ...41 comments 233 Recs
- Few experiences are as universal to Americans as the shared degradation and misery of flying on our nation's air carriers. These corporate behemoths have somehow managed to wrap up ...470 comments 469 Recs
- While we're "debating" torture, access to basic health care and the veracity of climate change, the rest-of-the-world is simply advancing transformational infrastructure like you would not believe.386 comments 556 Recs
- For many years I believed that there was some ground, albeit narrow and shaky, on which to respect those anti-abortion activists who sincerely believed that abortion was tantamount to murder. We've ...31 comments 67 Recs
- "Come, come whomever you are: wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Though you have broken your vows a thousand times, it doesn't matter. come, come yet again. ...279 comments 299 Recs
- For nearly two thousand years the religious have killed, banished, tortured, and jailed atheists for the crime of being atheists and daring to tell someone they were. After reading Enough Atheist ...791 comments 703 Recs
- I served as a deputy district attorney for a district of seven rural Colorado counties, from 1983 to 1986. One of the first things I learned was how to tell the "good cops" from the "bad cops". ...368 comments 482 Recs
- Paul Ryan. I keep trying to figure out why people take this guy seriously. Just a couple of months ago he was talking about fighting poverty through what appears to ...30 comments 64 Recs
- Author Naomi Wolf was challenged to read the Bible. What she found blew her mind (her words) and probably not in the direction the challenger(s) were hoping. She posted the results on facebook an ...378 comments 583 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.