Below you'll find recent contributions related to sailmaker's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Open thread for night owls: And now for a bit of feline delight
It's Friday, so forget politics for three minutes and watch these felines have a blast in a cardboard cat maze. Notice they can't even herd themselves. Best part after 2:05.
|Midday open thread: Arctic ice at record low; Sandy victims blame Christie; Bush and the coal barons
Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Mitch McConnell and Snuggly the Security Bear Beg to Spy :
|Those guys who boosted the 'surge' in Iraq? They're eager to do it again
Explosions in late 2014 variously described as an ISIL truck bomb or a U.S. airstrike in the town of Kobane on the Turkish-Syrian border. ...
|“The Fire This Time: Black Youth and the Spectacle of Postracial Violence,” by Henry A. Giroux
[Diarist's Note: Henry Giroux has provided the diarist with written authorization to reproduce his posts in their entirety for the benefit of the Daily Kos community.] [http://www.truth-out.org/...
|Open thread for night owls: Too many of the people in Washington do not rep those who elected them
Blast from the Past . At Daily Kos on this date in 2014 — Texas legislature gives 1.5 million poor residents the finger :It's not enough just to ...
|EPI: Government's state jobs report for April shows recovery still plodding
Click here and scroll briefly for an interactive version of this map.
|Midday open thread: Is rent out of reach? Col. Graham retiring; Cubans not keen on Marco Rubio
Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Introducing Louis 'Flash' Maltby :
|Income inequality reflected in mental health statistics, according to new study
A new study from the Centers for Disease Control— Serious Psychological Distress Among Adults: United States, 2009–2013 —confirms what common sense and the experts have long told us: The ...
|Could Jeb Bush's time on boards of corporations with legal troubles become a 2016 focus?
Busy, busy, busy. Ron Green at the Associated Press has taken a look at all the corporate and non-profit boards and advisory boards Jeb Bush has served on since he ...
|Senior “State Department Officials Pass Through Revolving Door, Lobby for Passage of TPP”
If you were to read some of the audience’s comments in [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/05/26/1387749/-Gaius-Publius-Hillary-TPP-the-World-of-Money-and-the-Center-for-American-Progress THIS ...
|Nebraskan lawmakers override Gov. Pete Ricketts's veto to abolish state death penalty
State Sen. Ernie Chambers finally won his 38-year battle to get Nebraska's death penalty repealed. With Wednesday's override vote in its one-house legislature, Nebraska ...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Shooting a black rhino for fun; extreme rainfall; protesting Shell
Check out OceanDiver's post . Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention they deserve. To help get more eyeballs,
|1968: Richard Nixon stuns the political media by listening to voters.
In 1968, one of the most untelegenic (is there such a word?) candidates in politics, Richard Nixon, tried a new approach to campaigning that, although it did not totally shun and shut out the press,
|Midday open thread: Drug cartel builds CCTV network; 'clickbait' enters dictionary; microbead ban
Today's comic by Matt Bors is Reasonable measures :
|Big media's sneering, dismissive coverage of Bernie Sanders is a plague on democracy
The media are more interested in ...
|Open thread for night owls. Cole: Kaplan's call for renewed imperialism in Middle East is boneheaded
Let's have some more cakewalks, 'kay? Robert D. Kaplan recently wrote a piece (behind a paywall) saying it's time to bring imperialism back to the ...
|Dear Sen. Sanders
and Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Warren and MoveOn and People for the American Way and Friends Committee on National Legislation and Democratic Nationnal Committee and DailyKos and so many others. But, ...
|Sanders makes run official: If people 'fight back, there is nothing that can’t be accomplished'
In a speech peppered with introductory "brothers and sisters," Sen. Bernie Sanders on Tuesday made official his entry into the primary battle for the Democratic presidential nomination framed by ...
|Livestreaming Bernie Sanders's official announcement of his candidacy for the Democratic nomination
You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...
|Midday open thread: Democrats and climate change; perpetual war; Sanders to make it official
Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Pro-life, Boko Haram style :
|Hey, does anybody have the number for Microsoft? I lost it.
I had it written on a napkin somewhere, or at least I thought so.
|Most House Republicans stand with President Obama on fast-tracking, most Democrats still against
Fighting it to the end. Thanks to 14 Democrats joining all-but-five Senate Republicans in approving fast-track trade legislation last week, it's now up to the House, which is where most close ...
|Gaius Publius: “Hillary, TPP, the World of Money, and the Center for American Progress”
[ Diarist's Note: Gaius Publius has provided written authorization to the diarist to republish their work in its entirety for the benefit of the Daily Kos community. On a related topic, and of ...
|Open thread for night owls. On Memorial Day, remember: 'They didn't fall, they were pushed'
Flag-draped caskets on their way back from Iraq to the United States. Ray McGovern writes— Remember This on Memorial ...
|Midday open thread: Middle East needs imperialism? Emissions controls to slash coal; Kincannon flips
Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is The bad intelligence : What you may have missed on ...
|Original Americans forgotten on Memorial Day
The All-Nations Native American Veterans Memorial in Jefferson, Oregon [This is an edited and updated reprise of an essay first written for Memorial Day in 2010.] My ...
|Abbreviated pundit round-up: Young people getting shafted on pay; the real first Memorial Day
E.J. Dionne Jr. at The Washington Post writes The right’s political correctness : Accommodating right-wing primary voters poses real risks to the party in next year’s elections. Its candidates’
|Open thread for night owls. A reprise: 'Lies, Damned Lies, a Searchable Database of Lies'||Meteor Blades||05/24/2015||71|
|Sanders: Campaign coverage should focus on issues instead of outrage, gossip and Facebook comments||Meteor Blades||05/24/2015||177|
|Saturday Night Loser's Club, Vol. CDLXXVIII, Like Water for Food Edition
One vintage bumper-sticker type slogan goes: "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." That came to mind when I was reading this NYT interactive article , "Your ...
Recommended by sailmaker
- Taking the salt out of brackish water MIT engineers have invented a new desalination machine that runs on solar energy. The project began in 2013 when the engineers went to India with the hopes of ...164 comments 281 Recs
- Galileo discovered evidence to support Copernicus’ heliocentric theory when he observed four moons in orbit around Jupiter. Beginning on January 7, 1610, he mapped nightly the position of the 4 “...79 comments 71 Recs
- Her name is Fineena. Many of you know her. She's been around since '08 and is known for her personal generosity and enthusiastic participation in our community. She's also known for the cool scarves ...135 comments 269 Recs
- This morning, my husband mentioned that he'd heard a discussion that included some conjecture on the possibility that Netanyahu's diatribe against a nuclear nonproliferation deal with Iran might ...683 comments 871 Recs
- I am a retired personal injury attorney, having practiced personal injury law for thirty five years. Personal injury lawyers produce most of the law on insurance. It is what we do every day. An ...83 comments 131 Recs
- “She was becoming herself and daily casting aside that fictitious self which we assume like a garment with which to appear before the world.” –Kate Chopin, “The Aw akening"30 comments 32 Recs
- Nation, The Colbert Report is closing up shop this week after a stellar 9-year run that saw its host consistently and brilliantly skewer pompous, ignorant, self-righteous, irrationally fearful, ...163 comments 333 Recs
- North Charleston, SC - State Representative David Mack surprised me by showing up for a Hungryneck Straphangers Bus with Us Transit Ride at the Mary Street Transit center on Friday, Oct. 3, 2014 ...6 comments 14 Recs
- Lawsuit over allegedly unprocessed voter registrations in Georgia being heard in Atlanta court todayGeorgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams. The non-partisan New Georgia Project started out 18 months ago getting people signed up for the Affordable Care Act. ...69 comments 186 Recs
- LOOK OUT EVERYONE HE'S REALLY REALLY TAN This may be the stupidest conservative panic to come over the ...301 comments 399 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.