Posting History for shiobe
|Don’t Ask Me What I’m Going to Do About Those “Retarded People”
Don’t ask the front desk how long “those people” are going to be here. People with special needs have the right to use this public space, just like you. Don’t go up to the caretaker and ...
|"What did you do to piss God off so much he killed your child?"
"What did you do to piss god off so much he killed your child?" My mother-in-law carried those words to her grave. Her second child died a few days after birth from a heart defect. That was how her ...
|My father "disowns" my husband because he was raised on welfare
Welfare. My father considers it a dirty word. TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program ...
|Even JPL Presenters Treat Boys and Girls Differently
It’s an uphill battle for girls who like science. This was expressed too clearly during a JPL presentation at my local library this past Saturday. I and my husband attended the program, mainly ...
|Of Religion and Public School or Do You Really Think It Doesn't Harm Students?
After reading this diary by Hunter about a state legislator in Texas trying to make it legal for only Hanukah and Christmas scenes in Texas schools, and listening to the arguments this past week ...
|Of Librarians and Dodos
After reading Bobbosphere’s excellent article on teachers and the impact of low wages, increased workloads and ineffective unions, I could not help but ponder my library system’s own turn to full-
|We were too poor to save my mother
1993. October. My mother phoned me to tell me she had breast cancer. I was devastated. My family was poor, had no insurance and could not afford the $15,000 initial surgery. She had put off ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by shiobe
- Let's begin by being honest. Shaun King is a polarizing figure. He has a very specific point of view when it comes to American police forces and their dealings with African Americans, and he is ...863 comments 435 Recs
- As the Amtrak derailment showed (again), the refusal to spend on infrastructure literally kills . Also, infrastructure spending: (i) is necessary and unavoidable (failure to timely spend on ...338 comments 500 Recs
- Good guy, Stephen Colbert gives a lesson in charitable giving.318 comments 774 Recs
- Responding to pleas from Texas Governor Greg Abbott the White House releases the following statement “We plan to withdraw all US military personnel and close all bases by December 2015” In a ...239 comments 591 Recs
- Made the list in 2010, 2011 and 2013 There is a movement within the science fiction and fantasy community to restrain the increasing diversity of award-winning novels. Too many women and ...168 comments 127 Recs
- So I’m reading company proxy statements every day, analyzing the more arcane details of compensation for a blog I’m doing for work (http://ceopay.asyousow.org). I’m getting numbed to high CEO ...90 comments 111 Recs
- One week into Autism Awareness/Acceptance Month, this story hit my news feed yesterday: Autistic Child Wanders Off, Mom Calls 911, Is Accused of Neglect Here's the selection from the news report:52 comments 102 Recs
- One of the many consequences of having so many states controlled by Republicans is that there has been a flurry of bills demonizing the poor. One of the most common ways of doing so is by dictating ...74 comments 153 Recs
- So I won't tarry in getting to the point. If I have to listen to one more supposed liberal or progressive or Democrat here tell me on this board that our efforts on social issues are unimportant and ...373 comments 334 Recs
- (Update at bottom. Names, links through to FB pages.) The 4/1/2015 front page story of the Dublin, GA Courier-Herald newspaper is about the following open letter, which speaks for itself. It is, ...144 comments 313 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.