Posting History for tarheelian51
|Markets' stinging rebuke of GOP healthcare claims
We've heard a lot from Republicans about how the Affordable Care Act would be a disaster for the healthcare industry, how the medical device tax would drive companies out of the business, how the ...
|Bill Koch wins Nobel Prize for Irony
“It’s sacrilegious,” Koch says. “Here is something beautiful and wonderful they are destroying for base reasons. How would you feel if some guy burnt the Mona Lisa? I feel my love has been ...
|Non-citizens could vote in 13 states
American history is full of little surprises like this. Looking for information on an unrelated topic, I stumbled across this little nugget: "The period from about 1840 through about 1910 was оnе ...
|May 4, 1970: Nixon & Kissinger's Kent State phone call
Many of us at the time of Kent State wondered just how the White House saw the shootings. Given the Nixon/Agnew position that anti-war protesters were "bums," the common supposition then was that ...
|Measured: How moving polling places depresses turnout
Anecdotes and educated guesses about why election officials make an unusual number of changes in polling places before an election are widespread. What's been lacking has been a procedure for ...
|Nuremberg war crimes prosecutor Henry King (1919-2009)
Henry King was the youngest American prosecutor at Nuremberg and a pioneer in international human rights law. "Henry King is the George Washington of modern international law," said David M. Crane, ...
|Missing emails: White House stalls to the bitter end
For years Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and the National Security Archive have been ...
|Lisa Jackson @ EPA: A warning light is blinking
After the last eight years of the Bush administration's environmental policies, it is difficult not to feel a sense of relief over their imminent departure. But I would be a lot more optimistic if ...
|NC: "This is history - I don't have time to be embarrassed"
I got this story from Kevin Farmer, the Chair of the Durham County Democratic Party: "There's this fantastic voter registration dynamo in Durham named Louise. I gave her 500 forms a while ago, and ...
|How Republicans Use Hurricanes in Florida
This story has been covered already by a few blogs, but not here, and none seems to have presented the graphic shown below. Jowie Chen, a doctoral student in political science at Stanford, obtained ...
|Help free professor "disappeared" by Saudis
I'm normally skeptical about email chains, but this checks out. See, for example, http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/24/saudi.arrest/index.html . I've edited the email (below) for readability ...
|NC Republicans give McCain 74% of vote
From the NC Board of Elections website: Mike Huckabee 12.17% 63,061 Alan Keyes 2.63% 13,631 John McCain 73.99% 383,401 Ron Paul 7.22% 37,392 No Preference 3.99% 20,...
|Court Sets Deadline on Missing White House E-mail
Today, responding to the National Security Archive's motion in the pending White House e-mail lawsuit, Magistrate Judge John M. Facciola of the U.S. District ...
|Without fanfare Bush alters deterrence policy
The shadings and subtle nuances that distinguish the Clinton and Obama words on deterrence have been given a lot of attention lately, but actual Bush administration policy has escaped serious ...
|NC voter registration and opinion poll results
Most voter registration in North Carolina ended last Friday (the exception is people who vote early beginning April 17, and who register at the polling place.) This morning the Raleigh News & ...
|Britain: Conservative MPs cash in on their seats
"We are not supposed to be an assembly of gentlemen who have no interests of any kind and no association of any kind. That is ridiculous. That may apply in Heaven, but not, happily, here." ---
|Court Orders Bush to Show Cause Why Emails Can't Be Produced
In an order issued today, the U. S. District Court for the District of Columbia directed the Executive Office of the President (EOP) to show cause why it should not be ordered to create and preserve ...
|Iraq: Decoding US and insurgent "surges"
One weakness of news coverage of the Iraq war has been the lack of convincing "big picture" stories. Even when reporters try to do this, they invariably give snapshot views of events in a few ...
|US now officially acknowledges Israeli nukes
In a story headlined "CIA: We said back in 1974 that Israel had nuclear weapons," the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported on a ...
|I.T. and politics -- new research
The first issue of the Journal of Information Technology & Politics is now available free online at: http://www.jitp.net/ The Table of Contents is below. (Perhaps of special note: "WEB ...
|TNR: "Fred Thompson Channels L. Ron Hubbard"
It might seem odd to link Fred Thompson to L. Ron Hubbard. But, as former Bush (Sr.) administration Treasury official Bruce Bartlett recounts in the current edition ...
|Wolfowitz and the "3 camps" theory of the WH
I was hoping that the comments on Jerome's diary would have more to say about the original Financial Times story on the three camps supposedly inhabiting the White House. Since the string of ...
|The economic consequences of reducing trade barriers, lesson one
Does free trade benefit everyone? This claim is advanced so often, and so casually, that one might suppose that it is a basic result in economic theory, a sort of Newton's Law for the international ...
|Evidence that Dems overspend in safe seats||tarheelian51||10/24/2006||7||1||-||-|
|Measuring "bias" in presidential approval polls||tarheelian51||08/27/2006||58||5||-||140|
|Understanding Voter Turnout, pt. 3: Less obvious patterns||tarheelian51||08/23/2006||7||8||-||131|
|Understanding voter turnout: Key insights||tarheelian51||08/21/2006||19||21||-||157|
|Understanding voter turnout: the basics (pt. 1)||tarheelian51||08/20/2006||2||7||-||-|
|US policy towards the latest Arab-Israeli war: Is Djerejian right?||tarheelian51||07/14/2006||8||2||-||-|
|Why not privatize marriage?||tarheelian51||06/28/2006||70||9||-||22|
|Global warming and earthquakes: The other shoe drops||tarheelian51||06/16/2006||17||12||-||1|
|WSJ attack puppy nips at Juan Cole's ankles||tarheelian51||04/27/2006||12||14||1||2|
|What a "bunker busting" nuclear attack would do||tarheelian51||04/11/2006||4||7||2||-|
|What are you doing on Tax Day? Something one person can do||tarheelian51||04/06/2006||3||1||-||-|
|More on Democrats in Action||tarheelian51||04/03/2006||4||1||-||17|
|Democrats in Action||tarheelian51||04/02/2006||18||4||1||18|
|"We're CNN with secrets"||tarheelian51||03/31/2006||9||12||1||3|
|"They said it was democracy and freedom, but in reality, it was occupation"||tarheelian51||03/24/2006||1||5||-||-|
|More disquieting revelations about contractors in Iraq||tarheelian51||03/23/2006||3||5||1||-|
|Iraq's indigenous sources of uranium ore||tarheelian51||11/27/2005||2||-||-||-|
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by tarheelian51
- Despite predictions of freezing rain, a record number of people of all ages came today to Raleigh for the Moral March (aka HKonJ) to protest the corrupt Republican Legislature and Governor that ...82 comments 307 Recs
- Salvador Allende (1908-1973) Vive En Memoria It was on September 11, 1973, 40 years ago, that democracy died in Chile. A CIA backed coup, led by Gen. Augusto Pinochet, overthrew democratically ...31 comments 82 Recs
- [Full disclosure: I am Lutheran (ELCA)] Everyone and their grandma knows that mainline liberal Protestant denominations are going the way of newspapers. Right? Demographic trends show mega-church ...166 comments 64 Recs
- This is a classic tale of "jumping the gun". Though I was going to write a diary about this based on my Facebook encounters, I got the title from another Kos diary. What generates this post: it ...103 comments 15 Recs
- Still struggling with high unemployment, North Carolina owes the federal government $2.56 billion borrowed for unemployment insurance during the recession. And the North Carolina Chamber of ...51 comments 38 Recs
- This is an Open Thread / Coffee Hour and all topics of conversation are welcome. Today I would like to share my experience last Saturday of talking to Republicans at our Farmers Market political ...64 comments 57 Recs
- What follows are first hand experiences volunteering for the Obama campaign for the last 5 days of the election in Washoe County, NV. After hosting a number of phone banks, and giving money, I ...21 comments 22 Recs
- Obama web site disables “social” features on Election Day as part of trend toward “Small Ball” that weakens 50-State Strategy necessary to win back House Narrow Victory of Obama’s Data-...8 comments 7 Recs
- Watauga County, North Carolina has a strong and active local Democratic Party . We think out of the box, run strong local candidates, and never stop trying to move our county "forward," even when we ...39 comments 120 Recs
- Some people buy inflatable Santa Clauses, and they put them on the rooftop. You ask if they really need that, they chuckle and say "no, no, of course not." But, when you ask them about flatscreen TVs,13 comments 10 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.