Below you'll find recent contributions related to trillian's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|The Justice Department on Netroots Radio Presents: "The Streets of His Soldier Mind"
|Young People's Pavilion: Bedtime For Chickies
"To write a good young picture book ... You have to write with all the skill of an adult who understands words, rhythm, rhyme, character, and story and all the heart and soul of a child who ...
|The Book Bear||05/24/2015||1|
|How a Southern white boy unlearned racism
I am going to give in to Denise Oliver Velez's request to turn a comment into a diary. The aversion to length (TL;DR) is a peculiar modern affliction, but I will make it easier for people who ...
|Who are more Dangerous: Fleeing Suspects or the Police Officers who Kill them?
Americans used to have rights. Primarily the Right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Also we supposedly have the the right to be "secure from unreasonable searches and seizures of ...
|How did you begin to unlearn racism?
Overpass Light Brigade, "Unlearn Racism" When the Overpass Light Brigade brought the message of " ...
|Denise Oliver Velez||05/24/2015||473|
|Books So Bad They're Good: A Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Summer in Badbookistan
'Tis summer, and time for a middle aged woman's fancies to turn to thoughts of bad books. Not only bad books, of course. I picked up several excellent books at Kalamazoo last week, two of which I'...
|High School Art Exhibit Attacked By Cops for Depicting Police Brutality
Many, many police officers and their supporters are going ape shit very upset at a group of student artists at Westfield High School in New Jersey for daring ...
|Apparently, 136 Bullets Were NOT Enough.
OOPS : Someone put an autoplay video embed in the comments. If you hear audio you can go here and stop the video from playing. -----
|Brelo Verdict In: Not Guilty (Updated w/Link to Verdict)
Judge O'Donnell just announced his verdict in the Michael Brelo trial. Not Guilty. Judge O'Donnell also accepted as proved Brelo's claims of justification regarding the lesser included offenses. ...
|Obamacare Saves Sight, Obamacare Saves Lives. StDD~ Week 39
Daily Kos' own ObamaCare guru, Brainwrap, has recently highlighted the story of Luis Lang in a number of posts here , here , here , ...
|Black Kos, Week In Review
Marijuana - The Playing Field is not Level Commentary by Black Kos Editor JoanMar I don't smoke. I have never lit up a joint in my life. But I know a lot about the good ol' Mary Jane . I can ...
|Write On! Pacing
Hello, writers. Last week we talked about making time pass in a narrative. Now I’d like to talk about a related area, pacing. Pacing a story well means spending as little time as possible over ...
|2006 FBI Report on White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement: You Will Be Assimilated
And so it goes. Same as it ever was. And I'm not simply talking about police officers getting away with killing (mostly) young black men but the incessant nitpicking of each and every case ...
|In Defense of Shaun King
Let's begin by being honest. Shaun King is a polarizing figure. He has a very specific point of view when it comes to American police forces and their dealings with African Americans, and he is ...
|Ken Burns Commencement Speech-line On #BlackLivesmatter Gets Huge Applause In One for the Ages
Today in Ferguson 150 years after the Civil War we see "ghastly remnants of our great shame emerging still"/Lincoln warned of "national suicide" if we neglect to be a "nation of freemen"/Mark Twain'...
|thirty three and a third||05/20/2015||45|
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: Driver, Follow That…Book!
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. It is necessary in ...
|CNN Discussion on Waco "Thugs" yet again shows we may have "Cop Problems" more than "Black Problems"
In the following clip from CNN in a discussion of how different the Police and media response has been to the mass murder spree and shootout by Waco Biker Gangs, contrasted to not just the so-called "
|Frank Vyan Walton||05/20/2015||18|
|Wonder What Bin Ladin Read in Bed?
Need to know what volumes were on Bin Ladin's bookshelf? Curious if his reading tastes were close to yours? Ever consider if what you read makes you who you are, or is who you are dictated by what ...
|New Freddie Gray Video: He Didn't Move When Shackled
According to Baltimore police, Freddie Gray was “irate” in a transport van after his arrest and they had to restrain him. However, that account is being challenged with the release by The ...
|Indigo Kalliope: Poems from the Left: May's 3rd Tuesday & Salute to a Friend
So, here I am, racing another deadline, though I've had a pretty good idea of what I was going to write about for at least a few days. As long as I've admired the work of poets I have the privilege ...
|Black Kos, Tuesday's Chile
I still tear up every time I watch this video. But even then, we knew that it was not enough. Far from it. Is "Black Leadership" Enough? Not For These Young Adults by Chitown Kev Like many other ...
|The words of Malcolm X speaking on police brutality are eerily and disappointingly relevant today
Malcolm X speaking in Los Angeles on police brutality On April 27, 1962, the LAPD murdered Brother Ronald Stokes , a friend of ...
|Monday Murder Mystery: Debtors' prisons and 'The Devil in the Marshalsea'
Marshalsea Prison, 1773 Click to enlarge On June 1, 1729, William Acton, one-time butcher and deputy ...
The mainstay of fairy tales and most romances, feminine beauty in this sort of literature is usually raised to incredible (and incredulous) heights as synonymous with virtue, goodness and truth. In,
|Karen Hedwig Backman||05/18/2015||3|
|Must read economics books: On value and values
For a recent project, I’ve been researching organizations and values within organizations. I happened to come across On Value and Values by Douglas K. Smith because of the following quote: For ...
|Marco Rubio Blows the same Iraq War Question “It was Not a Mistake”
Marco Rubio's campaign ran off the rails when Rubio flubbed the answer to what had to be the question he was expecting most: Knowing what we do now was the invasion of Iraq a mistake? (BEGIN ...
|Rev. Barber & The Great American Lawsuit Against NC Voter Suppression - Of/By/For The People
Rev. Dr. William Barber II, former Netroots speaker and founder of Moral Mondays, along with Forward Together and the NC NAACP, released a new date for ...
|Driving while black, brown, or Indian
Most people have heard or read the acronym "DWB," which stands for " Driving While Black ," or in many cases "Brown," derived from DWI—Driving While Intoxicated. In ...
|Denise Oliver Velez||05/17/2015||218|
|Medieval Studies Rewind: I'm Still A Gal in Kalamazoo
Tonight, I come to you from the past. Partially this is due to where I am: the Kalamazoo Medieval Studies Congress at Western Michigan University. This annual conference, which brings together ...
|An Approached to E. M. Forster
Or How Classical Liberals Became Socialists Disclaimer: I am one of those people who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff, but who is not an expert at anything. I hope you forgive me if I and ...
|The Great Symmetry
My science fiction novel The Great Symmetry is now out in the world. The intro has a brief description of the book, while the main diary has some philosophy and personal observations. In the ...
|Royal Dutch Shell Invades Seattle UPDATED
The Mayor of Seattle doesn't want Shell's Polar Pioneer to dock in Seattle. The Seattle City Council doesn't want Shell's Polar Pioneer to dock in Seattle. The Port of Seattle doesn't want Shell'...
|TPP Fast Track Isn't Dead Yet as Reid & Schumer seek package deal w GOP
Just when we thought we had defeated "Fast Track" trade authority for the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) Senate Democratic "Leaders" are talking with Republicans desperately trying to put together ...
|We Can Act on Global Warming or We Can Have TPP But We Can't Do Both
Investor oriented Free Trade under T.P.P. is NOT compatible with taking action to limit Global Warming. Why? Because T.P.P. (like the WTO) includes a poison pill mechanism to penalize any national ...
Recommended by trillian
- Nation, The Colbert Report is closing up shop this week after a stellar 9-year run that saw its host consistently and brilliantly skewer pompous, ignorant, self-righteous, irrationally fearful, ...163 comments 333 Recs
- This diary is a first in a series of New York City visitors guides for gardeners. This first garden for you to explore in the Big Apple is right in Central Park and called the Conservatory Garden. ...174 comments 64 Recs
- Considering that I told ninkasi two weeks ago that I'd do this, you'd think I could prepare something and take pictures of it. You'd be wrong of course. But even without visuals I'm sure you can ...45 comments 25 Recs
- For those who read my dairy of a few days ago I’m As Mad As Hell, And I'm Not Going To Take This Anymore! you know that I've gone through a rough patch. Well things have deteriorated since then. ...95 comments 157 Recs
- LOOK OUT EVERYONE HE'S REALLY REALLY TAN This may be the stupidest conservative panic to come over the ...301 comments 399 Recs
- That's never something you want to hear. When someone says this, often in an interview, it usually means that something terrible happened. You can't help but think that if someone had been paying ...216 comments 329 Recs
- [UDPATE] A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who tended to Thomas Eric Duncan as he died of Ebola has tested positive for the lethal virus and a hospital official said ...292 comments 172 Recs
- When I lived in the good ship California, I dabbled with Western wines, but I decided that I lacked both the brain power and the pocketbook to master such a ponderous course of study. I coupled, ...88 comments 58 Recs
- The first call to the Arlington Main Post Office resulted in a nice woman telling me that their system flagged the permit number as invalid -- expired, maybe. She gave me the number of the business ...15 comments 6 Recs
- The MSM isn't always cowardly. Newsweek is out with a story about the republican "patriots" who are willing to hurt America if it feeds into their Obama derangement syndrome. It's aggressive, and ...14 comments 52 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.