Posting History for wesmorgan1
|Smooth upgrade! But...what's with the /nsa URL?
KDDING! I'm JUST KIDDING, folks. Thanks to the admin team for all they do to keep this place running. Go enjoy the beverage of your choice, folks - you've earned it.
|Lexington (KY) Mayor Submits Budget for Police Body Cameras
As we increase our advocacy of body and dash cameras for police, I think it's important that we call out those police departments that are already moving in that direction. This would seem ...
|Varsity Letters, Parenting, and Recognizing Success
There was a (briefly) Rec-Liisted diary Saturday afternoon that you should read before diving into this one. Basically, there's a controversy in Wichita, Kansas around a special needs student and ...
|So, Where (Exactly) Are All the Cops? Some Hard Numbers...
Unless you've been living under the proverbial rock for the last few months, you know that America's police have been the subject of contentious discussion, debate and protest across the country. In ...
|A Red State Police Chief Addresses Protests - With Brilliance
The Metro Nashville (TN) Police Department (MNPD) is one of the 40 largest local police departments in the US, according to the 2008 Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies ; in that year,
|My Wish for You, Gentle Reader
Whatever your beliefs or traditions, may this season bring you a sense of renewal.
|The PERFECT Comeback When Frothers Rage "Tyranny! Dictator! Unconstitutional!"
OK, so any number of right-wing voices are letting fly with True Patriot Rhetoric TM describing the President's Executive Orders on immigration as "tyrannical", "a Constitutional crisis", and "...
|"Military Surplus" Includes Junior NSA Surveillance Gear
Much of the discussion of police militarization has centered on the Department of Defense's 1033 program , through which it "donates" military equipment, including combat vehicles and weaponry, to ...
|Government: What's Your Best Thing Ever?
I just read a diary that named public libraries the "best socialized good in America." Of course, the general public's impression of "socialism" is not exactly... attuned to the public good (or the ...
|UPDATED x2: Baltimore Ravens cut Ray Rice, NFL issues indefinite suspension
Hot off the presses (well, straight from Twitter, anyway): The #Ravens have terminated RB Ray Rice's contract this afternoon. — Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) September 8, 2014 No additional ...
|Music for the Big Data/Surveillance State
It isn't often that one hears a song and experiences that delayed "Wait.... what ?" reaction to the lyrics. I recently had that very experience with a beautifully written piece that carried very ...
|MS-SEN: McDaniel to contest primary
Hoo, boy, students of political science will be talking about this one for years ... According to multiple media sources, Mississippi State Senator Chris McDaniel will file a legal challenge to the ...
|Girl "tossed from KFC" Seems to Be a Hoax
According to the Laurel Leader-Call , that horrid story of a scarred 3-year-old girl being asked to leave a KFC in Jackson, MS...is a hoax. It would seem that none of the family's story can be ...
|NC-02 (Primary): Clay Aiken's opponent dies in home accident
From WXII :ASHEBORO, N.C. —Keith Crisco, a Congressional candidate who was in a close race with "American Idol" finalist Clay Aiken, died suddenly Monday.
|"All Politics Is Local" - and Mobility Tells Us Why
"Podunk." "Flyover country." "Inner city." "The sticks." "Suburban." "Red state." "Blue state." We toss these and similar terms around every day. It's a routine--and easy--thing to criticize ...
|Want to Make 64 Cents on the Dollar? Invest in Early Childhood Education
As is true in most states, Kentucky is fighting budget battles on a yearly basis. All too often, education at all levels--from Pre-K to the state universities--suffers from the budgetary ax. This ...
|Kentucky to appeal decision on same-sex marriage recognition without AG - and McConnell takes heat
Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway has announced that he will not appeal the Federal District Court decision that struck down the state's refusal to recognize same-sex marriages performed in ...
|First 'ripple effect' of marriage equality decision in Kentucky
As has been discused in great detail, US District Judge John G. Heyburn recently ruled that the State of Kentucky must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states . Well, it didn't take ...
|In Which A Baptist Church Does the Right Thing About Sexual Abuse
For all the talk about churches and religious hierarchies doing everything they can to sweep cases of clergy sexual abuse under the rug, it's refreshing to see a church handle an incident in ...
|Stock Market History: Why the Dow Jones Industrial Average Is Meaningless
If you pay any attention to US financial markets, you can't avoid the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA). It's cited every single day as one of the THE barometers of our financial and economic ...
|A Big Week for Kentucky's Insurance Exchange
In the largely manufactured outrage over the rollout of the Affordable Care Act, even the larger media have praised Kentucky's implementation of its online exchange, Kynect . Well, this was a good ...
|Hit by the Shutdown? Tweet #ThanksGOP
My son is ready to take his first driving test, in order to earn his learners' permit (or, as they now name it, his graduated license ). Oh, wait - we must present his Social Security card, and we ...
|Luck? Farce? Nth-dimensional Chess? No, No, No - This IS Diplomacy.
The latest round of Syria diaries is in full flower. Given the nature of this community, it isn't surprising that their themes range from "dang, Obama's lucky" to "Russia's the white knight here?" ...
|Rodeo Clowns, Mocking Presidents, and Equal Treatment - A Recipe for (Honest) Confusion
I'll say this up front, just to be clear: I did not consider the "rodeo clown" incident racist in nature. That opinion, shared here and elsewhere, generated an interesting range of responses. ...
|KY-SEN: Grimes (D) releases ad - "The Campaign Begins" (& endorsement from Bill Clinton)
Alison Lundergan Grimes released a REALLY good "meet the candidate"-style online ad to open things up against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. It runs a bit long, but at 3:41 it's well worth ...
|Pope Francis: "Who Am I to Judge" Gays?
I'm not a Catholic, but I find this breathtaking in a way... On his return flight from Brazil, where he had spoken at World Youth Day, Pope Francis held an impromptu press conference aboard; such a ...
|Archbishop of Canterbury: Let credit unions use church halls
This is...fascinating . The Archbishop of Canterbury, head of the worldwide Anglican church, was a member of Parliament's commission on banking standards and has been an outspoken critic of the ...
|Real Talking Points: The Constitution, Religion and "A Christian Nation"
Over the last few decades, it has been something of an article of faith among conservative pundits and provocateurs that the Founding Fathers intended the United States to be an explicitly Christian ...
|One Way to Talk with Southern Baptists about Marriage
I'm a Baptist. I'm a Southern Baptist. I'm an ordained Southern Baptist deacon. I've taught Sunday school, I've sung in choirs, I've directed choirs, I've taught Vacation Bible School. I've ...
|Nothing More Need Be Said, Except...
...a grateful nation remembers, honors and thanks you, SFC Monti. SFC Monti is the 3465th person to receive the Medal of Honor, and the first to receive it for heroism in Operation Enduring Freedom.
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by wesmorgan1
- Republican gubernatorial candidate James Comer The May 19 Kentucky GOP gubernatorial primary may be one for the books. Last week, we learned that a blogger named Michael Adams was accusing state ...29 comments 22 Recs
- on record inventories and near record production despite the collapse of oil patch ...37 comments 69 Recs
- Congratulations to Els, from North London, for her astounding accomplishment. The 8-year old managed to convince a mega book publisher to stop marketing books that are titled 'for boys' and '...29 comments 236 Recs
- There have been a lot of really jaw-dropping questions asked lately. Many times they're asked in the face of the actual answers already being stated. Questions like, "If you're angry at [X], why are ...134 comments 305 Recs
- I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I call myself that in order to distinguish myself from the dominant strain of North American Christianity. At the risk of sounding arrogant and judgmental, I am ...137 comments 42 Recs
- Here's some more scary news from the Duke City, and it's for real. Not from any of its famous TV series. The county district attorney overseeing Albuquerque Police has gone on the record in the ...97 comments 427 Recs
- [The City Manager] has failed to rein in a police department that needs careful oversight and control. His administration’s shell game with a report on the fatal shooting by police of Kendrec ...39 comments 126 Recs
- I’m not a cop, but I played one yesterday. On the final night of the 9-week Citizen Police Academy that I’ve been attending, 30 participants paired up, suited up in bullet-proof vests and ...31 comments 32 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...59 comments 219 Recs
- Just typing the title makes me feel sick in the pit of my stomach. This woman who swore to care for animals thought the answer to a poor stray cat wandering in her yard (probably looking for help) ...368 comments 182 Recs
- No current results.