Below you'll find recent contributions related to wruckusgroink's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Young People's Pavilion: Bedtime For Chickies
"To write a good young picture book ... You have to write with all the skill of an adult who understands words, rhythm, rhyme, character, and story and all the heart and soul of a child who ...
|The Book Bear||05/24/2015||1|
|Books So Bad They're Good: A Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Summer in Badbookistan
'Tis summer, and time for a middle aged woman's fancies to turn to thoughts of bad books. Not only bad books, of course. I picked up several excellent books at Kalamazoo last week, two of which I'...
|Bernie Sanders is for AMERICA
I’m fixing to deal with some grown up truth right now and I’d appreciate it if you’d hear me out. Bernie Sanders Bernie ...
|Yup, Clinton can tell the Beltway media to go to hell
Heavens! Is that Hillary with some "everyday Americans"? BLASPHEMY! The same day I lauded ...
|Writing Successfully at Daily Kos - A Few Tips
Over the last few days at Daily Kos we've had several debates over editorial content and control as well as guidelines that writers follow. As a site that lives as a peer-reviewed source, Daily ...
|For a Brooklyn Woman with ALS, Social Security is Elusive
Hi, friends. There are, like, eight other posts that I’ve been drafting, but this is a way more pressing matter. It is a call to action and a call for help. I mentioned in my last post that I ...
|Write On! Pacing
Hello, writers. Last week we talked about making time pass in a narrative. Now I’d like to talk about a related area, pacing. Pacing a story well means spending as little time as possible over ...
|If Hillary wants to avoid the beltway political media, well then, that's very smart
Hillary Clinton, at a small-business roundtable in Iowa, loses nothing by bypassing the traditional ...
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: Driver, Follow That…Book!
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. It is necessary in ...
|Wonder What Bin Ladin Read in Bed?
Need to know what volumes were on Bin Ladin's bookshelf? Curious if his reading tastes were close to yours? Ever consider if what you read makes you who you are, or is who you are dictated by what ...
|Indigo Kalliope: Poems from the Left: May's 3rd Tuesday & Salute to a Friend
So, here I am, racing another deadline, though I've had a pretty good idea of what I was going to write about for at least a few days. As long as I've admired the work of poets I have the privilege ...
|Monday Murder Mystery: Debtors' prisons and 'The Devil in the Marshalsea'
Marshalsea Prison, 1773 Click to enlarge On June 1, 1729, William Acton, one-time butcher and deputy ...
The mainstay of fairy tales and most romances, feminine beauty in this sort of literature is usually raised to incredible (and incredulous) heights as synonymous with virtue, goodness and truth. In,
|Karen Hedwig Backman||05/18/2015||3|
|Must read economics books: On value and values
For a recent project, I’ve been researching organizations and values within organizations. I happened to come across On Value and Values by Douglas K. Smith because of the following quote: For ...
|Medieval Studies Rewind: I'm Still A Gal in Kalamazoo
Tonight, I come to you from the past. Partially this is due to where I am: the Kalamazoo Medieval Studies Congress at Western Michigan University. This annual conference, which brings together ...
|An Approached to E. M. Forster
Or How Classical Liberals Became Socialists Disclaimer: I am one of those people who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff, but who is not an expert at anything. I hope you forgive me if I and ...
|The Great Symmetry
My science fiction novel The Great Symmetry is now out in the world. The intro has a brief description of the book, while the main diary has some philosophy and personal observations. In the ...
|Books in My Life--The Printed Word as Anodyne
Good morning, readers and book lovers! Guess what, we were going to have a good old American breakfast at the Country Kitchen down the road from where I live, but the line of people waiting to get ...
|Diana in NoVa||05/15/2015||43|
|Write On! How to make time pass.
Hello, writers. One of the little tricks a writer has to learn is how to make time pass. In a story, that is. An author at a retreat I attended last year made a throwaway comment in conversation: “
|Self-publishing 101: The Kübler-Ross Stages of Editing
There are no gatekeepers any more. Your opus can be free in the world, its fate determined by merit and your skill and level of effort getting the word out. You can do this. Just be prepared to ...
| Bookflurries-Bookchat: The Great Reading Quest
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. "Out of the night, ...
|Spot In My Eye (Indigo Kalliope: Poems From the Left)
Spot in my eye, rolling in black water, fumbling for an object in a dark house. What I've seen past the spot might be better. Worrisome blind blur allows no ease. Pry-bar touches ribs, dig your ...
|Why Social Security should dominate the 2016 election
Here's why Social Security needs to ...
Recommended by wruckusgroink
- The reasons to be skeptical of Hillary Clinton are legion, from her husband's record in the '90s, to her corporate ties (including being on the board of Walmart), to ...643 comments 171 Recs
- A couple of years ago, I spent many hours with Bernie Sanders interviewing him for Playboy magazine (the interview was published in October 2013). I've just received permission to post unpublished ...171 comments 201 Recs
- 366 comments 400 Recs
- Making new an old-fashioned party-building ...192 comments 202 Recs
- The good news is that the economy today is much better than it was six years ago when George W. Bush left office. The bad news is that, despite these improvements, the 40-year decline of the ...233 comments 563 Recs
- March 25 is the anniversary of the infamous Triangle Shirtwaist fire, which happened in 1911. The basic facts are pretty well known. The company was among the staunchest opponents of unionization, ...27 comments 70 Recs
- It’s way past time that someone published such a punishing and honest appraisal/takedown. In Rolling Stone, Jeb Lund wrote a must-read piece called "Go Ahead and Call Bill O'Reilly What He Is: A ...145 comments 400 Recs
- The ad kind of speaks for itself.252 comments 518 Recs
- "Scott Walker The Desperado" is the caption under an old photo of Wisconsin's Governor from his school days. The caption is not a new one from his political enemies. He earned the moniker beck in ...99 comments 157 Recs
- Welcome, New Users, to Daily Kos, from your host Angie in WA State . This Diary is intended to help you orient yourself to the site and ask questions about how to use it. Below the ...177 comments 165 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.