Posting History for zakandsantos
|Homelessness, Obamacare, And Being More Compassionate
As I am a jack of all liberal trades, my Masters degree finally landed me a job that I love, most of the time, in the non-profit sector as a Data Analyst, Training Developer, and I create surveys ...
|The Bedbugs and Losing Everything to Start Over
A few weeks ago I wrote a diary about my roach and bed bug infested apartment, and the horrible living conditions my husband and I have lived in for the past 6 months since we moved to Nashville, ...
|Living in a Slum...Roaches...Bedbugs...
My husband and I moved to Nashville in July, and we rented an apartment that seemed okay, wasn't great, but was a good price, and in a decent area of town. When we first moved in I got a rash, but I ...
|Voter Intimidation in Tennessee: My Week in Voting Hell
As some of you may know, I have been blogging about my adventures in voting over the last week, while also pointing out some of the problems others are having casting their vote in the city of ...
|Tennessee Voter ID Law: More Voters Disenfranchised
Many of you read my diary yesterday about being turned away from voting at the polls. I thought it may be an isolated incident. I was wrong. Today I opened up our local newspaper to be confronted ...
|"You Can't Vote" Being Disenfranchised in Tennessee
I was very excited yesterday knowing that I would be voting in my third presidential election. I went to work, requested my two hours of voting time, and headed off to my early voting precinct. When ...
|AP/NCC Poll: Americans Supportive of Marriage Equality
A new AP/NCC poll released yesterday shows that Americans support marriage equality 53% for to 42% against. They also found that 6 in 10 Americans support recognition of same-sex couples, either ...
|Taking Care of the Elderly: Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia
Welcome one and all to the fifth edition of my blog series: Taking Care of the Elderly. Over the past two weeks we have discussed how the boomers are changing the face of elder care, the types of ...
|Taking Care of the Elderly: The Baby Boom Boom Boom Part 2
This is my fourth installment in my series: Taking Care of the Elderly. I will discuss the impact of the recession on the baby boomers and conclude with a discussion of what the boomers can still do ...
|Taking Care of the Elderly: The Baby Boom Boom Boom
This is the third part in my series "Taking Care of the Elderly. Because of the in-depth nature of discussing the boomers I will do this diary in two parts. Today I will give a brief overview of who ...
|Taking Care of the Elderly: The Perils of Falling
This is the second diary in my series "Taking Care of the Elderly." I asked all of you to vote on what you would like me to discuss next, and overwelmingly you wanted to hear more about falling and ...
|Taking Care of the Elderly: This IS NOT a Nursing Home!
Tonight begins my third week employed as the front desk concierge at an up-scale retirement community in Middle Tennessee. I work the graveyard shift (6p-6a) on weekends, and for the most part truly ...
|Blue Dog Blues in TN-05
Currently TN-05 is represented by blue dog member Jim Cooper. It has a cook PVI rating of D+3, and is one of the few non-minority based Democratic seats in the Southern United States. This has been ...
|Comcast: The root of all evil?
I recently moved back to Nashville to work at a retirement home. Currently I hold a Masters in Sociology, and I thought I would be able to get a job with the state, but at the last minute it fell ...
|Saying Goodbye to Child Welfare
Today was the final day at my job as a a data analyst at my current job in Child Welfare. As I posted about in a previous diary, the governor of Tennessee cut us out of the budget so we officially ...
|Wisconsin and Tennessee: A Note from the Southern Front
I live in the great state of Tennessee, and have been a progressive liberal my entire adult life. I have problems here much like anyone else as the state does not protect gay and lesbian employees ...
|Islamophobia in the Heart of Tennessee
Some of you may have heard about the mosque they were building in Murfreesboro Tennessee a few years back. Some conservative zealots rabidly opposed it, and we (the citizens of Murfreesboro) were ...
|Marriage Equality and Tennessee: Don't You Forget About Me
I married my husband in Iowa almost two years ago. We had been together for a few years before that, but we finally decided to get married. It was a wonderful day. We drove all night and ended up in ...
|Gay Married and Disenfranchised in the Great State of Tennessee
I've been wanting to write an article about how Tennessee may effectively disenfranchise me in the upcoming election due to my marital status. While it is certainly not illegal to be in a same-sex ...
|Tennessee within Margin of Error for 2012 Presidential Election
So, this is my first DailyKos Diary. I wrote a few at SwingStateProject, but I thought the headline today in my local paper (The Tennessean) was exciting. A new Vanderbilt poll has Mitt Romney ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by zakandsantos
- Today the Minnesota House votes on the topic of marriage equality. A live stream is available for those who want to watch / listen. The legislation can be read online ( MN HF1054 ), and gives the ...45 comments 15 Recs
- It's possible that soon, Pennsylvanians 60 and older crushed by soaring local property taxes will be able to have them reduced by "volunteering" to work at a local school to earn property tax credits.63 comments 34 Recs
- For some of those who are younger who frequent Daily Kos, it may be hard to remember the way the world was in the middle 80s in relation to HIV/AIDS. Scary, uncertain and with no real ...9 comments 18 Recs
- Sometimes, a court case is so strong that you don’t need to win on all counts to get the same result. And perhaps the legal precedent you were hoping to set won’t be achieved – because the ...7 comments 16 Recs
- This is an interesting twist from Politico: The SCOTUS ruling the GOP really wants Conservatives watching this week’s gay marriage arguments at the Supreme Court are wondering if it will happen ...13 comments 6 Recs
- I like Senator Chris Coons (D. DE). He's a down to earth guy. I don't write about him a lot because it's Delaware and he's safe for re-election, unless someone like Mike Castle (R) decides to ...4 comments 10 Recs
- From TPM: Responding to a report indicating that President Obama will call for same-sex couples to be covered in immigration reform, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Tuesday said the issue is "not of ...14 comments 20 Recs
- Just out on MSNBC/NBC The Boy Scouts of America, one of the nation’s largest private youth organizations, is actively considering an end to its decades-long policy of banning gay scouts or scout ...59 comments 38 Recs
- He put the pressure back on The R-cons in Senate. Abuse the rules? Lose public opinion. Not bad. The R-con game plan, it seems? Change the Electoral College, gerrymander seats, suppress ...41 comments 5 Recs
- Hello all! I've had a busy past few weeks with moving back to college and having nothing but daily track practices, so this feature took a minor pause. Since we are only in January of 2013, we ...25 comments 16 Recs
- No current results.