View Diary: It’s not profit that is destroying our health; it’s the private insurance business model. (60 comments)

•  Our health care system (5+ / 0-)

is a nightmare from start to finish and it isn't just the insurance companies.  It is also the pharmaceutical companies, the hospitals, the dentists, and those that are suppose to help us in healing or finding comfort in chronic conditions that disable.  Even getting eye glasses today has you reaching deep into your pockets.  There isn't one part of your body anymore that doesn't send you back to the workhouse to pay off your debt.

As a disabled person I can tell you that doctor's appointments are becoming useless time spent and money out the window especially since all the doctors now sit behind a computer and punch in information that the system needs instead of addressing your issues.  My neurologist visits in the last five years have gone from round $90.00 to $250.00.  The more they cut the doctor's reimbursement the higher the bill for the doctor gets to make up the difference the insurance won't pay.  It is a game between doctors and insurance companies with the patient caught in the middle.  And these computers completely kill the doctor/patient relationship.

I had one issue that needed to be address because I have a VP shunt, all the questions I got asked had nothing to do with the issue that needed to be addressed and I ended up leaving the doctor's office with my issue unaddressed, but I answered probably thirty questions unrelated because that is what the computer program in the exam room wanted.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 11:02:40 PM PST

•  This is the stuff that frys me. AMA getting laws (1+ / 0-)
      zaka1

passed that are entirely unnecessary like appts for reissuing prescriptions, etc.  Very costly to the aged and poorer population.

•  It was the pharmacist (2+ / 0-)
        CA wildwoman, zaka1

and Senator Hubert Humphrey who expanded the prescription system.

Prior to 1948, only addictive substances needed a prescription.

Humphrey added a potentially dangerous requirement. To this day, drug companies wishing to make lots of money must ensure their new drugs are potentially dangerous so a prescription is required and an insurance company will then have to pay for the drug.

An "expensive" prescription requirement could be added so drug companies don't have to search for chemical compounds that are both effective and potentially dangerous.

•  There are drugs that can be hazardous (1+ / 0-)
        zaka1

over a long term like statins or a short term like lithium.

A hospital lab test report could be used as a prescription renewal.

One nurse took a stomach acid reducer for over two weeks straight despite a label warning not to do so.

•  Agreed, (0+ / 0-)

there are many drugs that can be hazardous if mixed with alcohol or other drugs.  There are perscription medications that if taken more than perscriped can cause psychosis.  Medications are very trickey and patients have a responsibility with perscription drugs as well as the doctor.  I don't think a lot of people understand that the brain chemistry sometimes can be thrown off by perscription drugs if they don't follow directions.  But, sometimes it isn't the patient or doctor at fault, it is the drug itself that can be a problem.

by zaka1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 04:39:11 PM PST

•  AMA has nothing to do with it. (0+ / 0-)

Get another doctor. You should be able to phone in or even have your pharmacist phone in unless it is a scheduled drug, ie pain med.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 10:17:15 AM PST

•  The AMA has (1+ / 0-)
          CA wildwoman

big lobby for the doctors and they have gained almost untouchable status because of the lobby.  Many doctors do have talent and education that should be held in the highest regard, but there are still too many that use that power and respect to make a profit way above what the average American can afford.

I'm old and while I was growing up the doctors drove station wagons and lived in the same neighborhoods as the rest of us, they didn't live in gated communities and drive the most expensive cars made.  I think when they lived among others they were more aware of what average life was all about and they could live a little above that and no one complained about their fees and/or the medical system at that time because we could afford it.

by zaka1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:20:01 PM PST

•  Yes, (1+ / 0-)
        CA wildwoman

especially for contacts and glasses.  If I see OK, just give me my glasses in a new frame (if needed) or give me my contacts.  Then there are the doctor's appointments, I have a birth defect. . . it is incurable, period.  But, when I go to my neurologist they always want to change the medications or try something new.  I did this for the first couple of years and not only did I lose a lot of money on medications that made me worse, I also suffered numerous reactions that were worse than what my disability does to me.  LOL, I'd be laying on the bathroom floor with some of the medications with chest pains and my head feeling like it was going to explode.  And I paid like $300.00 for the medication that gave me that reaction.  Another medication gave me the shakes and I lost 14 lbs in two weeks and then I broke out with a rash all over my face.  I have hydroenphalus and my brain does not react well to a lot of medications.

This goes on and on.  And I'm sometimes feel guilty or at fault for not getting better and being a 100% again.  Seriously, it is crazy.

by zaka1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 12:52:46 PM PST

•  you need to say stop! This is what (1+ / 0-)
      zaka1

I want. Take someone with you next time to just help you insist  on what you need  answered be answered.

by samddobermann on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 10:15:24 AM PST

•  I have already done that (1+ / 0-)
        CA wildwoman

and I now take a family member with me.  Before becoming disabled I was a social worker with a master's degree and knew very well how to deal with the system, but it is becoming too big and powerful over the average person especially if they are sick and/or are not wealthy.  What I hate is that they almost blame you for not getting better or showing improvement.  I have hydroenphalus and have had brain surgery six times (four times on the birth defect itself) and there is permanent neurological damage, it does improve, but I will never be the same as I was before.  Plus try to get two doctors to agree with anything is almost impossible today and this makes it even more difficult for the patient when your suppose to have five doctors dealing with one body.

The whole system makes me feel overpowered, perhaps I'm alone in feeling this way, but the medical system has become such a giant of power and money that it seems to simply overwhelm.  I have told my neurologist to stop, but it seems that she is being pushed by profit to sell the lastest drug on the market or whatever is new and expensive.  And sadly just she is an excellent doctor, but the system is changing the way she deals with patients.

by zaka1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 01:07:15 PM PST

• Recommended (122)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (23)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site