View Diary: Okiciyap Needs Happy Volunteers & Warm Clothing for Kids (112 comments)

•  I'm sure those boys' clothes will be snapped up! (12+ / 0-)

Not sure about the kids' books--last I heard they didn't really have a place set up for them yet, but someone may come along and correct me. They've never requested stuffed animals, so not sure about those either. We'll have to see what betson08 or others say.

Thanks, mahakali overdrive!

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by nomandates on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 05:13:22 PM PST

•  I'll hold onto those books then (11+ / 0-)

The boys' clothes, great! Will send. That should go out by the end of this week. I have some boxes that I'll be sending then to my relatives back East. :)

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 05:23:33 PM PST

•  I'd say if the stuffed animals seem new (9+ / 0-)

and they probably do since kids tend to have lots of them, use them to fill up the boxes of clothes. I imagine the kids would like them. I'll ask Emily for the official word and get back to you

Helping a food pantry on the Cheyenne River Reservation,Okiciyap." >www.okiciyap.yolasite.com<"

by betson08 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 07:50:56 PM PST

•  Please do, although I have to see how new (9+ / 0-)

they are. Most are probably on the newer side though. Well, my son gets too much from his grandparents (he has... more than I can count off-hand... like twelve or something with remarriages?) and a lot of them are lovely but not much played with.

I wouldn't send you any that were worn.

And he didn't eat them! These are from when he was "too old" for stuffed animals. I am excited because seriously, these boxes have been sitting in the garage for several years, and every few months, I clear stuff out and put more things in the garage again (I hate clutter, and my son is the kind of kid who liked Legos and Chemistry kits more than other toys).

I'm so glad this works out.

I don't think you knew this, but one of my first serious volunteer work experiences was fundraising for Native American reservations with an awesome grassroots-but-big group, actually; I did little things only, like transcription and writing some copy, but it was very cool and had to do with sustainable foods. Totally made me aware of the hardships Native peoples face. This was a while ago now. I love what you are doing!

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:06:59 PM PST

•  I love your story (10+ / 0-)

and you are welcome to join us at the Okiciyap group if you're not there already and write diaries, etc.

So, I'd say if it's not too expensive, go ahead and send the stuffed animals. I will give you the final word from Emily when I get it.

by betson08 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:09:50 PM PST

•  What you just said reminded me of an article I (5+ / 0-)

read in today's newspaper.  The native american people who call themselves Haudenosaunee, the people of the Iroquois Confederacy, are developing a new project which seeks to grow and market heritage white corn and corn flours.  The Friends of Ganondagon are sponsors of the project.  The corn has been grown in the area for more than 1000 years, and has a low glycemic index, with all that implies. When added to brown beans a complete, low fat protien is created.

Currently the corn is available at www.iroquoiswhitecorn.org   A one pound bag sells for $9.00

The farmers go to great lengths to keep the open pollinated  heirloom corn free from the pollen of modern hybreds. The harvest and processing of the corn is also traditional, and by hand. There were 75 acres in production last year, and they hope to add several more acres this year.

I would link to the article, but it seems to be behind a paywall.

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. & http://www.dailykos.com/blog/Okiciyap

by weck on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 08:38:42 PM PST

•  That sounds very cool (5+ / 0-)

the corn issue, well, don't get me started. I strongly dislike Monsanto and the GMO's for the reason of heirlooms. Exemplary about the low glycemic index. It is my understanding that Native Americans struggle with a high rate of diabetes, along with so many other indigenous people who switch diets... sigh. Frustrating. Low-quality food availability.

Also, there's the issue of production and cultural integrity which I think is really important for ones' heritage. So cool that they're doing this by hand.

Sounds like a good diary topic: it would make a cool Christmas gift, IMHO, for friends -- white cornmeal in particular, mmm... very easy to use in recipes!

by mahakali overdrive on Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 09:34:39 PM PST

•  Check out what one of our diary lurkers is doing (2+ / 0-)
            nomandates, weck

This is from an email I got the other day

I thought it was time for an update on my project...   Emily has given me permission to send the Lentil, Barley soup mix so on monday I'll have the bulk delivered to my local Food Bank and then I'll put everything in 1 lb. packs and ship... I hope this week.  I'm sending 2,000 lbs...  I'll send you an update when I ship. I don't know if or who anyone else is working on the Food Pantry beside you and all the folks that have donated so if there are other folks that want to know please tell them ..
            It turned out that this was a little overwhelming, so here's what's going on now:
            Monday Update:
            This is the 1st time I've done a project like this & now I'm finding out the logistics, amount of people, kitchens  and time involved.  The Board of Directors of Food For Lane County has a meeting in a few days  & I'll let you know more on the timing but it looks like this will be delivered after Xmas. The project is active and a caring community in Oregon is working together to help another caring community in South Dakota
            This is awesome

by betson08 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 at 07:39:14 PM PST

•  Wow! (1+ / 0-)
              nomandates

One ton of barley/lentil soup will last a long time!

I added the info on the corn because it reminded me of the Pine Ridge solar panel project, how the Pine Ridge people are bringing in people from other tribes to learn the assembly and installation of the panels then sending them back to their own reservations to do the work there.

It would take most of a year to train individuals from other tribes to grow and process the corn, but then the skills would be transferred to new tribes.  The people of the longhouse now grow more than they need to eat, and this project is not that old.  Even if the white corn is not suitable for the plains, another native corn might be.  It is the organization and care that makes the white corn project remarkable to me.

Did you see the diary about the canadian first people organizing?

by weck on Tue Dec 11, 2012 at 07:49:52 AM PST

•  I glanced at it (1+ / 0-)
                nomandates

because I was getting ready to come down here to NYC, but I sensed the organizing from listservs and Facebook

by betson08 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 06:02:44 PM PST