View Diary: It's civil war time for House Republicans (169 comments)

•  But who actually wants the Speakership? (8+ / 0-)

Cantor?  Ha.  That won't last long.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
    I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
    —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:08:22 AM PST

•  That's the issue right there. (3+ / 0-)

Until Ryan voted yes on the deal last night, I'd have said that he wanted it, to improve his shot at the 2016 nomination.

If Eric Cantor is smart, he doesn't want to be Speaker until after 2014. Let someone else do the job and have it blow up in their face, then he can come in and pick up the pieces from his caucus.

For the moment, I suspect that Tom Price could be the Tea Party's rival candidate.

by JamesGG on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:18:25 AM PST

•  Ryan as speaker would end 2016 WH aspirations (4+ / 0-)

No way would he have touched that with a 10-foot pole.  It would mean either he'd look like a sore loser if he drove a hard bargain or he'd have to compromise with Pres Obama, which would mean he'd never win the primary - only seen as slightly better than Huntsman.

President Obama would have been a Republican in the 1980's.

by Jacoby Jonze on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:23:38 AM PST

•  I think it would give him the statesman chops (0+ / 0-)

he craves and needs, and last night's vote shows he's playing a longer game.

If Boehner can't get the gavel it will be Cantor v. Ryan.

"And now we know that government by organized money is just as dangerous as government by organized mob." -- FDR

by Mogolori on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:16:53 AM PST

•  Is it possible to be a "statesman" with the (2+ / 0-)
            Mogolori, Zack from the SFV

absolutely lunacy that is rampant in the Republican party at this juncture?  One can only be "statesmanlike" when people have the intelligence to appreciate your efforts as a "statesman."  Try that on Louis Gohmert, the Congressman too stupid to find his butt with both hands.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:44:54 AM PST

•  I wouldn't agree to be speaker (0+ / 0-)

unless I could get some firm promises of support on all things.   Why be the next Boner?

One piece of free advice to the GOP: Drop the culture wars, explicitly.

by Inland on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 08:39:21 AM PST

•  that's the best argument for why (1+ / 0-)
        polecat

Boehner might get to keep the gavel.

It's worse than herding cats to run that caucus right now and no one else wants the job

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:22:12 AM PST

•  Is a recipe for disaster, to be sure. (0+ / 0-)

But there is joy in making people squeal by taking away their chairmanships.

heh.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan