View Diary: Obama is on Pacificare's Side (70 comments)

•  Thanks! (13+ / 0-)

And agree wee need single payer. It would solve so many problems. I think we will have it one day.

•  Prediction: Hillary will make single-payer (7+ / 0-)

the legacy of her Presidency.

Those who fought the war in Afghanistan won it. Get them out of Afghanistan NOW . . . It's long past time. Those who want to wage the next war in Afghanistan are condemned to lose it.

by llbear on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:12:40 PM PST

•  Too many ifs, buts and maybes (12+ / 0-)

in there, but a Democratic President should be a Democratic President, Not Republicanlite.

I'm not sure about Hillary .... Bless her for her years of sterling service, but how is she different from many other Dems when it comes to corporate matters (rhetorical)?

If Hillary is nominated, I will support her candidacy, but I will also worry if Hillary is the most progressive we can get.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:22:16 PM PST

•  Sorry, I will not support her candidacy (7+ / 0-)

she is Republicanlite and her and her husband consolidated that in the Democratic party leadership. So why should we support her? Yes, I am certain that someone will say how can you criticise her on her retirement day, please, she is a right-wing dem, just like the one that we elected the last time and I simply do not believe in "ifs, buts, and maybes" anymore. There must be someone that actually represents democratic party principles that can run ...

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:33:30 PM PST

•  I will support the Nominated Dem. (6+ / 0-)

Because to not do so is to cut off our nose to spite our face.

Had we not supported Barack Obama for re-election, we would now have President Romney, and probably have lost the Senate too.

We can work to maximise our advantages but there comes a point where we have to minimise our losses.

Nothing else makes much sense to me.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:36:21 PM PST

•  I think that forcing the party to the left is a (9+ / 0-)

better use of your time and the only way that will happen is the creation of a broad independent left-wing movement; the movement will help spread better politics and if it works they will shift to the left out of fear of a rising left movement. Both parties are on the right, if the people are not on the right (and large numbers on this blog insist that they are not), then really we can do a hell of a lot better as not only are they are the right, they are mediocre right-wingers as well.

I will not be voting for another right-wing dem, I can not see how neoliberalism is helping anyone these days and we need desperately a party that represents the needs of the majority and quite honestly that is not either of the mainstream parties ... can the dems be shifted to the left? who knows, but I will not support another corporatist dem for president.

by NY brit expat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:43:59 PM PST

•  I'm with you! (8+ / 0-)

Hillary Clinton is a neoliberal warmonger. I was ambivalent about posting here because I'm basically a socialist now.

•  lol .. read my sig :) (3+ / 0-)
                  allie123, Mary Mike, kurt

So am I, and I always have been.

But it has to be tinged with some practical politics. The art of the possible because our principles are great, but sticking to them in the face of overwhelming odds hurts real people.

We live to continue the fight from a better base with President Obama, rather than a GOP clean sweep.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                  but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:53:19 PM PST

•  I am pratical (6+ / 0-)

but honestly believe Obama is like Glen Ford says the more effective evil. He can pass things w/the left going along that a Republican couldn't. Look Pelosi signed on to cutting CPI and was fighting for it using republican argument that cutting it will save it.

Obama has a kill list, has totally neglected mass incarceration and has deported more people than any other president. Obama admin has not prosecuted 1 banker but has DHS, FBI investigating protesters. The list goes on and on. If a Republican were in office Daily Kos and rest of democrats would be fighting these things. Instead, like pelosi, they cover for obama.

The people his policies hurt are left to fight on their own, pretty much. I'm lucky cuz I am not totally dependent on the programs Obama wants to cut but many people are. He is destroying public education with his privatization/charter schools. And his foreign policy is shameful.

•  I think you went too far (2+ / 0-)
                      allie123, kurt

with that comment, but I do understand from where it springs.

We are on the same side, and would probably enjoy a good face-to-face, so I will not quibble :)

Did you read the Diary in my sig? It explains me quite well. I just re-read it and was quite impressed ... lmao.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 05:14:12 PM PST

•  I didn't mean that against you at all (4+ / 0-)
                        twigg, dharmasyd, Lucy2009, kurt

I do feel that way about Obama but respect you and your views. I do get mad and go off a bit:-)

•  Prez. Hillary would be limited by the Senate. (4+ / 0-)
                          allie123, NY brit expat, unfangus, kurt

Want to know why we don't have single-payer, or at least a public option? Blue Dogs, especially in the Senate.

That would be the Senate that just refused to pass meaningful filibuster reform.

Give Prez. Hillary 60 reliable Senate votes, and she might make real progress. Otherwise it will be another round of Lesser Evil incremental improvements.

With global warming in particular this incrementalism may be killing us, and our descendants.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:21:51 PM PST

•  You couldn't make a new organisation (3+ / 0-)
                allie123, worldlotus, kurt

happen in less than a generation, probably longer, and if ever.

There are both reps and Senators considerably to the left of the President already in Congress. They quickest way to change is to send them some friends.

Incidentally, the Office of President is the least important in many respects. The real power, if it were used wisely, is in the House and Senate.

They have shown how easily they could manipulate, or obstruct, a basically "left of center" President over the last few years.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:50:13 PM PST

•  I haven't seen a left of centre (6+ / 0-)

president in the US since I have been born and that is 1960, so I honestly don't know whom you could be referring to. But I agree, the legislatures of state and federal gov't are more important than the presidency these days and what the republicans cannot do at the federal level they will force through the state level ... the left needs to be active at the state levels to counter these creeps.

by NY brit expat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 04:55:32 PM PST

•  But don't you believe that (6+ / 0-)

one reason the legislatures are more important is because Obama doesn't use job to promote liberal policies and frame. I guess people say his inaugural was more liberal but Obama started his presidency talking about austerity not justice or jobs.

But strategically we have more leverage w/state legislatures cuz they don't require as much $ to sway:-)

•  that is it in a nutshell ... (5+ / 0-)
                      allie123, twigg, dharmasyd, lostinamerica, kurt

we can protect people's rights at the state level and fight there and work grassroots recognising that people may sell out; I also agree that if we had a president that actually gave lipservice to liberal ideas (by that I mean Keynesian liberal rather then modern neoliberalism combined with social liberalism) we would certainly get more headway. All we hear is lipservice, but actions fall right into neoliberal policies immediately.

by NY brit expat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 05:20:50 PM PST