View Diary: Cop humiliates Sen. Graham at gun hearing: ‘You’re wrong’ on background checks (175 comments)

•  Wow, I know one of the 44 who were (9+ / 0-)

prosecuted then. His ex had a restraining order against him and when that came back on his background check he was charged.

•  Sounds like somewhere there are triggers (2+ / 0-)
      SoCalSal, lyvwyr101

for cases that could become violent. Especially given that  the person could get a gun privately or at a gun show.

Good legislating done by someone and the body they were working in. I'm betting it was a woman, probably several.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 02:14:08 PM PST

•  The NYT article is worth reading, (3+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101, Meteor Blades, Ginny in CO

We cannot mistake absolutism for principle, or substitute spectacle for politics, or treat name-calling as reasoned debate. -Pres. Obama, 1/21/13

by SoCalSal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:13:02 PM PST

•  Thanks, I don't have a script so the (1+ / 0-)
          SoCalSal

end of the month has to be limited on the links. Especially since I was working on an article from Sunday for a diary. Haven't figured out if you have linked to it before you can go back to reread without cutting into the 20 free ones.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 08:07:38 PM PST

•  I don't know about rereads, (1+ / 0-)
            Ginny in CO

although I think that getting to an article via link doesn't count against the 20 free articles. I subscribe to NYT, a bit of extravagance for my budget but I don't want to give up the full access and believe the publication worth supporting.

You could also try googling the title of an article to gain access, if you haven't tried that already, or use private browsing.

by SoCalSal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 09:31:49 PM PST

•  I just get the pop up warnings of how many (0+ / 0-)

articles I have left in the month. Just occurred to me as I was writing it that the warning didn't pop up when I went back to it and that it may have happened before.

I will check the other ideas. Someday I may be able to restart the script.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 09:44:30 PM PST

•  If that happened with every restraining order (2+ / 0-)
      lyvwyr101, Meteor Blades

lives would be saved.

I wonder if something in addition to the restraining order contributed to the charges, or if the FBI does try to inform the police if someone who has a recent restraining order then attempts to buy a gun.

From this NYT article

Under federal law, anyone who tries to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer must fill out a form about his criminal history. If a person checks yes to any of the questions — including whether he has been convicted of a felony or is the subject of a restraining order — the gun dealer cannot legally sell the person a weapon.

But if the person checks no to all the questions, the dealer is required to call a screener who has the name checked against federal databases run by the F.B.I. Typically, the F.B.I. can determine someone’s status within minutes, and the dealer can inform the buyer whether he can purchase the firearm.

When people are denied, they are free to leave the store. The local police, however, are not informed that a prohibited buyer has tried to purchase a weapon.

by SoCalSal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 03:29:54 PM PST

• GOP (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Education (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site