View Diary: IT IS ALL THE SENIORS' FAULT (35 comments)

•  Good for her. (9+ / 0-)

Foot care is important.  And I'm serious.

My Mother goes to a podiatrist every 3 months just to get her toenails trimmed, at Medicare expense.
    •  I'm sure you are. So am I. (1+ / 0-)
      misslegalbeagle

Is this what Medicare was created for?

_"Love is the rosebud of an hour; Friendship the everlasting flower."_ Brook Boothby

by Keith930 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 07:52:00 PM PDT

•  Yes, for health care. (7+ / 0-)

Just an idea, maybe you can offer to cut her toenails for her, examine her feet, ya know.

•  That is an idea.... (1+ / 0-)
          misslegalbeagle

that, I'm sad to say, never occured to either of my parents when they were my age.  My Grandparents cut their own nails.

All four of them lived into their 90's.  They only went to the doctor when they absolutely had to.  These days, people go to the doctor because he says he wants to see them again in 4 weeks.

ya know?

by Keith930 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 08:44:47 PM PDT

•  It's called preventive care. (7+ / 0-)
            And this:
            They only went to the doctor when they absolutely had to.
            Not a great idea.
            •  Be perfectly honest...how many trips to the DR (1+ / 0-)
              kalihikane

have you made in the past 2 years?  Just wondering.  I have no idea what the average is, but I would guess it's maybe once per year...

check that...before posting this I did a quick google search, and it looks like the average nonsenior in America goes to the doctor just about 4 times a year.

4 times a year????  For What????

It's been awhile since I last saw a doctor...maybe 3 years.  I don't have insurance.  When I did have insurance I went about once every 18 months, if that.

But how about you?  How often do you feel it necessary to see a doctor?

by Keith930 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:19:42 PM PDT

•  I don't want to argue with you. (3+ / 0-)
                ek hornbeck, JerryNA, poligirl

But I'm sensing from your comments that you think one only needs to see a doctor if they're in excruciating pain or they have a giant lump that's growing or something along those lines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in paraphrasing you.

I'm very, very sorry you don't have health insurance.

I don't know how old you are, I'm confused by your last comment:  "never occured to either of my parents when they were my age."

It's been awhile since I last saw a doctor...maybe 3 years

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I take it that you haven't had any routine blood tests done, then, or have had your heart and lungs listened to by a health care professional, for instance.   Again, I'm sorry.

I hate going to see a doctor.  Always have.  But I'm glad when I finally do go.  I don't go as often as I should.

Sorry, but I'm not going to specifically answer your questions about myself as they are too personal for me to answer.

How many times a person needs to see a doctor is based on one's personal issues.  If one has no discernible problems, the minimum is once a year to the best of my knowledge.

•  I don't want to argue with you, either (3+ / 0-)
                  gooderservice, JerryNA, poligirl

and I'm sorry it devolved into that...

Sometimes I get a wild hair you know where, and this is a topic that always brings it out.

You needn't apologize...it is I who needs to apologize.  Please forgive me.

by Keith930 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:50:13 PM PDT

•  Thank you. And I'm sorry this gets you upset. (2+ / 0-)
                    JerryNA, poligirl

I don't understand why, and I won't get personal with you to ask why.

But again, I'm very sorry you don't have health insurance.  That stinks big time.  (And so does "health insurance" stink big time, but that's another issue ;)

•  I will try to explain my general attitude as best (1+ / 0-)
                      poligirl

I can...but I doubt this will clarify things much for you.

When we were growing up, and fell off our bike, scraped our knee, steeped on a bee...whatever...we ran home to our Mother.  She took care of it.  Cleaned it up, put a bandaid on it, kissed it and made it better.

I think the Boomer generation goes to the doctor wayyyyyyyyy more often than their parents ever did, and I think our parents go to the doctor wayyyyyy more often than THEIR parents ever did.  And I don't think it fundamentally has much to do with preventative medical care.  I think it has more to do with a deeper emotional need.  A craving for care, for nurturing...for someone who will listen to our complaints, and be sympathetic...pat us on the head and give us a pill.

Someone who will care...ohhh...and please see the receptionist before you leave to take care of the payment and make sure we have all of your up to date insurance information.

There is something, gooderservice, about our medical system that has become almost like prostitution.  We go there, we know what we want, and we expect to get it.  Except that prostitutes don't need to carry malpractice insurance.  You read all the time about people who doctor shop...don't get the diagnosis you want or the prescription you want???  Go to another doctor until you do.

We, as a society, aren't really availing ourselves so frequently for medical care, exactly...it's for medical care but for something else, too, I suspect.  I can't put my finger on it...but it's not just medical care.  We are getting something else from all these trips to the doctor.  It's feeding an emotional need more than a medical exigency.

And if there are any doctors reading this...I'd love to hear from you.

by Keith930 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 10:23:34 PM PDT

•  I go to Dr average once a year...would be less... (1+ / 0-)
                poligirl

...if I didn't go for "annual checkup". This past 12 mos went twice...annual check and shingles otherwise no need. Observation (mine), Dr i see and have been for 25-30yrs has become generalized...less matter-of-fact and more almost asking if I think I need this or that rather his usual "do this or don't do that" approach... just the facts. I'm mostly a very healthy person and Doc always confirms that...but when he asks me if I think I might want to have blood work tests...as usually the case as part of annual check...it begs the question from me ...do I need it?...and response is ...I'll put it on the schedule and you can go anytime...they will have the requisition in your file...we'll see if insurance covers it or not. So I'm not going in unless they call me. Left with a sense of ...what was that all about?  Changing relationships due to outside influences.

Our nations quality of life is based on the rightousness of its people.

by kalihikane on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:06:59 AM PDT

•  a lot of times, foot care like that of toenails... (8+ / 0-)

is not just for vanity or beauty's sake...

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. ~George Orwell

by poligirl on Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 08:25:32 PM PDT

•  Is she able to cut her own toenails? (5+ / 0-)

Many elderly people have flexibility issues and aren't able to.

•  Medicare isn't authorised to pay for (2+ / 0-)
      toenail trimming, unless the patient is a diabetic or has another medical reason why s/he shouldn't or can't trim his/her own.

Unless Keith930's mother has a Medicare justification for this service, someone is committing fraud.

Renewable energy brings national global security.

by Calamity Jean on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:36:10 AM PDT