View Diary: President Obama gives statement on Syria (303 comments)

•  I'm willing to give him credit, MB (1+ / 0-)
    HCKAD

but I'm not willing to act like going to Congress was his plan all along.  I'm giving him credit for coming to his senses, not for being a great defender of the Constitution and the balance of powers.

It's an important distinction.

I've noticed around here that on the few occasions when opposition has made Obama step back and change his position, it's often the case that Obama is described as agreeing with the opposition, as if he had been in agreement all along. Someone did this just today, in fact.  But taking a crappy position and then letting yourself be argued out of it, while admirable for its willingness to accept criticism and change course, is not the same as taking the right position from the beginning.

The party of Kennedy is also the party of Eastland. The party of Javits is also the party of Goldwater. Where is our party? Where is the political party that will make it unnecessary to march on Washington?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 11:38:12 AM PDT

•  As I have indicated throughout this discussion... (3+ / 0-)
      allenjo, LinSea, Mr MadAsHell

...it is my view that he was convinced that he should go to Congress not that he wanted to. And, frankly, I ignore people who say that pressuring our leaders doesn't change their point of view. We just commemorated the 50th anniversary of events that prove in a clear-cut manner that such opposition does work.

by Meteor Blades on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:15:32 PM PDT

•  Bravo. Stated much better than I did. (1+ / 0-)
        LinSea

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:25:17 PM PDT

•  opposition does work, agreed and must work if (2+ / 0-)
        SouthernLiberalinMD, smiley7

we are to avoid another war.

We can't yet even get out of our current one, and it is insanity on the part of congress if they vote for another war. More particularly as congress starts their attempts to cut social spending, but want to vote for another war.

I have no idea how many tomahawk missiles for how many days, the President plans, but I do know that the price of each one is 1.3 million dollars.

For each $1.3M missile shot across the bow, just think of what must be given up in this country, where poverty is at the highest level in decades.

I urge everyone to persuade everyone they know to call their congress people, as I will be.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:25:48 PM PDT

•  from the start of the CW attack Obama has stated (0+ / 0-)

that he had not made a decision on next steps. This is the first choice he made, how is that changing course?

•  1)Saying he's ready to go and that (0+ / 0-)

the attack could happen by last Thursday (day before yesterday)
        2)Saying he didn't need to go to Congress.
        3)Not asking Congress to reconvene.
        4) "Informing" rather than "asking permission." Or how about even asking advice? And that came, purportedly, from anonymous staffers on the Hill.

Here's one report of that:Informed, not asked

Here's an even better report that makes it pretty damned clear Obama didn't start out wanting to ask Congress for anything.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:30:26 PM PDT

•  unnamed officials said he was ready for attacks (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

by Thursday, Obama said on Wed that he hadn't made up his mind. The news has been reporting a lot from anonymous sources that are turning out to be wrong.

Believing he doesn't have to go to Congress is different than thinking he should go.

•  Whatever. The second link goes to an article (0+ / 0-)

that makes it really damned clear.

But, on the up side, you just demonstrated what I was talking to MB about upthread.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:58:42 PM PDT