View Diary: David Frum shows how Twilight Sparkle, I mean Ted Cruz, could become president (178 comments)

•  Right. The TP hates Christie. (1+ / 0-)
    Jeremimi

If the GOP actually split into 2 independent Parties, Christie could be the nominee, but without the TP wing, he would lose very, very badly.

And to anyone who thinks Hillary will not be the nominee, I think deluded is the word of the day. Remember that fantastic speech Bill Clinton gave at the Convention? Remember all of those miles logged by Hillary as SoS? You didn't think those things came for free, did you? Obama *hearts* Hillary. It's a lock.

Voting is the means by which the public is distracted from the realities of power and its exercise.

by Anne Elk on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:16:26 AM PDT

•  So she deserves the nomination (0+ / 0-)

because her husband gives great speeches?

Isn't that rather sexist?

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:55:42 AM PDT

•  No. (2+ / 0-)
        duhban, The Nose

The comment appear to be a pure political judgment.  Bill and Hillary both delivered big for Obama last term and last election.  The comment assumes that the Clintons did that with the expectation that Obama would have Hillary's back in 2016.  Nothing sexist about it.

In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

by Cixelsyd on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 11:49:13 AM PDT

•  I don't think... (1+ / 0-)
        The Nose

...Anne Elk is arguing that she deserves anything. Indeed, I'm not even sure that Anne Elk likes Hillary, particularly. I certainly am no fan. But I suspect that if Hillary wants the nomination, she gets it, because she will be funded by every single big-money person in the US aside from the rabid right-wing ideologues, and will inherit Obama's machine wholesale. I would be happy to fight for someone who was an actual progressive against that, but I harbor no delusions of actually winning.

•  My problem is with (0+ / 0-)

judging women by their husband's accomplishments.  That's like some nightmare right out of the 50s.

by Subterranean on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 12:36:19 PM PDT

•  I most certainly am not (1+ / 0-)
            Alice in Florida

and it's amazingly dense of you to think otherwise. Hillary Clinton is a remarkably accomplished woman in her own right. May I remind you that she was a well-regarded senator from NY and served as perhaps one of the most highly regarded secretaries of state in recent years. The point I was making is that she and Bill are a political team and have always been so. The fact that Bill came through for Obama created a debt that will be paid along with the debt Obama owes Hillary quite independently of her husband. You're getting all this, right? Do I need to go on?

by Anne Elk on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:23:23 PM PDT

•  Yes, I get that (0+ / 0-)

but in listing HRC's qualities in your earlier post, you included Bill Clinton's great speeches.

HRC is an average public speaker, while her husband is one of the greatest public speakers in the nation.  You listed his speeches as one of her achievments.  It's demeaning to women to judge one by her husband's accomplishments.

Understand?

by Subterranean on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:52:09 PM PDT

•  Hillary would make an excellent President, if (2+ / 0-)
      tobendaro, The Nose

she has a Democratic Congress, if not, the RW has been hating on her for 20 years, and she would face the same blind, obdurate obstruction O has had to face. Unless the Dems take and hold majorities in both houses of Congress, the Dems will have to run a white man, so the rethug/confederate/neanderthals won't have an excuse not to talk to him.

May you live in interesting times--Chinese curse

by oldcrow on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 05:51:53 PM PDT

•  has anyone (0+ / 0-)

Seen Christie's ads for gov of NJ recently?

They are filled with a narrator cooing softly that Christie has acted bipartisan, has reached across the aisle, can get things done, etc.

Christie is getting ready.

•  The Republican base has been blaming their (0+ / 0-)

presidential losses on their candidates being too liberal since 2008. I can't see them nominating Christie. I can see Christie running and losing and turning down a VP offer from Cruz. If Hillary soundly defeated Cruz but then had a disastrous first term, I could see Christie pointing to the Cruz loss and convincing Republicans to nominate him in 2020.