So, I bought a Prius a couple of months ago (and I'm very cross with my accountant for not telling me about the tax credit). But after a couple thousand miles I have a whole list of things I can really appreciate about this car.
- I can back into my garage. Normally, you'd fill the garage up with fumes. But by shorting two pins together behind the instrument panel, you can enable electric-only mode, and drive on just the battery. Backing into my garage, given how my driveway is situated, is no problem, and it makes the morning go a little quicker while letting me get the groceries into the kitchen without an awkward sideways shuffle.
- Plan B if you run out of gas. Rather than calling the Auto Club or batting my eyes at passing cars, I can go about a mile on the battery only. It's a hassle, to be sure, since it's not fast as a glorified golf cart, but nothing like being stuck at roadside for 20 minutes.
- It goes with my favorite purse and shoes. Okay, a chick thing.
- (really). 45 MPG, without even thinking about it. I know there are people who do better by driving really slowly, but with no particular attention at all I can get 20 MPG in excess of the midsize car I might have otherwise purchased.
- It's really quiet, even when the gas engine is on. I can actually hear my music properly in the car, and conversation is more enjoyable.
- I can turn off the big display so that I'm not tempted to look at it while I'm driving. And it's lavish with the airbags and seat belt pretensioners and all the safety bells and whistles.