6:00-9:00pm Tuesday, March 13th, Top of the Hill (Pour House upstairs bar), 319 Pennsylvania
Ave. SE (Capitol South Metro) Sponsored by the Arlington Young Democrats, join young Dems
(and the young-at-heart) from VA, DC and MD at Top of the Hill for our second annual happy hour to get local progressives to socialize and build relationships for working together in 2007 and 2008. Over 150 attendees are expected.
Webb Brigades Alumni / DEM PAC
Virginia Young Democrats
DC Young Democrats
Maryland Young Democrats
Alexandria Young Democrats
DC College Democrats
DC Irish Democrats
Montgomery County Young Democrats
Prince Georges County Young Democrats
Young Voter PAC
For more information visit www.arlingtonyoungdems.org.
General Wes Clark and Jon Soltz from VoteVets.org are continuing their effort to rally opposition to war with Iran. Clark and Soltz are distributing their first YouTube video about StopIranWar.com, the first in a series of video blog pieces they're releasing to keep up the pressure and broaden public awareness
about this issue. http://www.youtube.com/... And, as always, people can continue to learn more and take action at:
- John Edwards in DC at Howard University on Wed., March 14
Presidential candidate John Edwards will speak at Howard University's Business School Auditorium, 2nd Floor, Building #10, Fairmont St., between Georgia Ave., & 6th Sts. NW at 2:00 PM, this Wednesday, March 14. The event is free & open to the public. for more information go to:
http://johnedwards.com/... RSVP's are appreciated but not absolutely required.
Moms Rising Rally for Paid Sick Leave, this Tuesday, March 13 noon
- March 13, Democratic Meetup & Film at Bens
Democratic Meetups (Democratic Party for DC, DC Democrats, Democratic State Committee Party) will meet March 13, 2007 at 7pm at Ben's Chili Bowl (1213 U St., NW). Organizers will show the films, The Ground Truth and War Tapes. Have dinner while watching the movies. Stay to discuss afterwards.
- Drinking Liberally, 3 locations, every Wednesday & Thursday, March 22 Max Blumenthal
No RSVP's. No fee other than your food or bar tab. Speakers? sometimes. Good people & conversaion? Always. Every Thursday at Timberlake's, 1726 Connecticut Ave NW (Dupont Circle Metro), (202) 483-2266. Happy Hour starts at 6:30. On March 22 DL DC Thursday will host Max Blumenthal of The Nation and Media Matters as our guest. He's caused a stir in the blogosphere recently with his video "CPAC: The Unauthorized Documentary": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...
On Capitol Hill, Drinking Liberally meets every Wednesday, 7:00 PM, at 18th Amendment, 613 Pennsylvania Ave., SE, about a block west of the Eastern Market Metro, www.dcdl.org
In Alexandria, join the Drinking Liberally crew at the Cap City Brewing Co./Shirlington, 2700 S. Quincy St., right across from the WETA Building on Thursdays at 7:00 - 9:00 PM, ask the hostess to find the Drinking Liberally group.
- MPP Happy Hour, Thursday, March 15
Join Marijuana Policy Project staff & supporters for their monthly happy hour, Thursday, March 15, 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM at Lush, the street level bar at the Reef in Adams-Morgan, 2446 18th St., NW, $1.00 off all drinks & appitizers.
- Join Michael Franti/IVAW for a Screening & Acoustic Set "I Know I'm Not Alone"
Please Join Michael Franti for a special late-night benefit screening for Iraq Veteran's Against the War of his new film "I Know I'm Not Alone" followed by a live acoustic set after his sold-out performance with Spearhead at the 9:30 Club, Friday, March 16, 11:00 PM, suggested donation of $25.00 (100% goes to IVAW) at Busboy's & Poets, 14th & V St., NW, about two blocks from the U St./Cardozo stop on the Green Line. No RSVP is necessary. For more info on IVAW go to www.ivaw.org
- Fundraiser, Meet Sen. Barack Obama, March 27
Megan & Don Beyer cordially invite you to join then in honoring Sen. Barack Obama to benefit Obama for America, March 27, 6:30 - 8:00 PM: Reception at the Beyer Residence, Old Town Alexandria, Donation: $2,300 per person, 8:00 - 9:30 PM, General Reception at the Majestic Cafe, 919 King St., Donation: $1,000 per person. For more information contact Drew Kleibrink, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-204-9622.
- Women's National Democratic Club Open House, March 16
Curious about the Woman's National Democratic Club? You are invited to an open house, tour of the WNDC historic mansion & enjoy Irish inspired food & drink, 5:30 - 8:00 PM, Friday March 16. FREE & open to the public. To RSVP contact Patricia Fitzgerald, email@example.com 202-232-7363. The Club is just north of Dupont Circle at 1526 New Hampshire Ave., NW.
- March 15-25 DC Environmental Film Festival http://www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org
- Site of the month from DC Shadow Rep. Mike Panetta: http://www.freeandequaldc.com/
(NOTE: from Howard Park -- About local Obama Groups -- frankly, local Obama groups of various types are sprouting so fast that I can't really do a very good job of keeping track of them. Times & locations should be confirmed. For the latest info on local Obama efforts go to www.barackobama.com. Nationwide Obama local kickoff meetings will be held on March 31. I'm open, with enough notice, to including notices about events on behalf of all Democratic candidates -- "cut & pasteable" copy is preferred.)
- DC4Obama Meetup March 17, 11:00 AM, West End Library
DC4Obama will meet at the West End Library, 2nd Floor, Large Meeting Room, 1101 24th St., NW, 24th & L, about 2 blocks north of the Foggy Bottom Metro station.
- Alexandria for Obama Organizational Meeting, 9:00 AM, March 17
Join Alexandria for Obama, Saturday March 17, 9:00 AM at the Hoffman Center Starbucks, 2461 Eisenhower Ave.
- (Another) Obama Group, "DC Obama for President Grass-Rooters" Meeting, March 25 8:00 PM
Will meet at Busboys & Poets, 14th & V Sts., NW, Sunday, March 25 at 8:00 PM. One of the activities will be planning for the national night of house parties & meetings on March 31.
- Climate Crisis Action Day, US Capitol, Tuesday, March 20
Take a long lunch and speak out about global warming. Climate Crisis Action Day is Tuesday, March 20, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on the West Lawn of the US Capitol. This will attract numerous speakers. Put your body where your mouth is about global warming, turn up the heat on the politicians & show them that climate change is a voting issue. For more into go to: http://ga3.org/...
- Meet DNC Chair Howard Dean at a DNC Grassroots Reception
Join Gov. Howard Dean & Rep. Eleanor H. Norton at a DNC Grassroots Reception, Monday, March 26, 5:30 - 7:00 PM, Equality Forum Room at the Human Rights Campaign HQ, 1640 Rhode Island Ave., NW. $50 per person or free if you join the DNC's Democracy Bonds grassroots fundraising program. To RSVP or get more info go to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voting Rights & Emancipation Day March, April 16
Mark History & Make History! Join Mayor Fenty, Rep. Norton & many others for a Voting Rights Rally & Marh on April 16, DC Emancipation Day, April 16. 2:30 PM gather at Freedom Plaza, 13th & Pennsylvania Ave., NW, then MARCH to the Capitol Reflecting Pool, 3rd St & Independence Ave. For details go to www.votingrightsmarch.org
- Yearly Kos Fundraiser, April 17
There will be an AFFORDABLE fundraiser for the Yearly Kos Convention in Washington, DC, probably on Capitol Hill, on April 17, more details later. We need your help to promote this event, please contact Nolan Treadway email@example.com or Howard Park firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the dates, if you are interested in new politics check out The Personal Democracy Forum in New York City, May 18 http://www.personaldemocracy.com/... and Yearly Kos, THE Progressive Netroots Political Conference, Chicago, August 2 - 5, 2007. Go to www.yearlykosconvention.org Come to Chicago this summer! Watch the Cubs get beat at cozy & historic Wrigley Field (they are in town during YearlyKos).
- Want us to publish your notice? Please send me (Howard Park email@example.com) the information as far ahead of time as possible. It is much better to send simple "cut & pasteable" copy NOT attachments. This newsletter is a volunteer enterprise and is published on an irregular basis. We are not able to publicize events on short notice