I'm now officially campaigning for Edwards for VP. Read what I have to say about why we need him on the ticket. If you agree, please go to www.draftkerryedwards.com and forward this message to all of the Democrats you know.
Forget the old models. If we look at the situation today and think ahead John Edwards is hands down the best VP candidate. Here's why:
- )The Vice Presidency is where we groom our future Presidents. With 8 years experience as VP, John Edwards would be Super Candidate in 2012-invincible.
- ) John Edwards is bar none the best campaigner in the Democratic Party right now. We need him out there everyday if we are goping to win. He would be the most effective for spokesperson for the Democratic message and he would help Kerry frame his message better and sharpen his rhetorical skill.
- ) John Edwards would bring his considerable organization and fundraising capabilities with him. He raised over 1 million dollars in the week before Super Tuesday. Democrats are going to need every dollar they can get to fend off the looming massive assault on Kerry.
- ) Even though Edwards might not deliver many Southern states as VP, he could at least make them contestable and force Bush to spend time and resources there. Furthermore, I think it's a mistake to pick a VP candidate based solely on the assumption that he/she could deliver their homestate. Al Gore lost TN in 2000. Gephart lost the Iowa primary (ok not his home state, but his neighboring state.) In this age of national media, state of origin matters less and less. We need a candidate like Edwards with appeal in every region of the country and in all of the battleground states.
- ) Some people have said we need an attack dog as VP and worry that Edwards is too nice to take on that roll. However, with his years of experience as a trial lawyer, Edwards knows how to attack and defend without looking mean. He is an attack dog whose bite is worse than his bark. In other words, he can do the work of an attack dog without sounding like an attack dog.
- ) Many of the people who voted for John Kerry seemed to be under the impression that they were voting for a Kerry/Edwards ticket. Any other nominee would have a hard time living up to the constant comparisons with Edwards that the media and public would make.
- ) Voters have shown they would be comfortable with John Edwards a heartbeat away from the Presidency. He has more experience on the national stage than Carter, Reagan, or Clinton when they were elected President. Furthermore, Kerry anbd Edwards were both beating Bush by about 10 points in National Polls. This would not be true if voters did not think Edwards could do the job.
- ) Edwards is a disciplined candidate with a short voting record. We should not have to spend a lot of time on damage control with him as VP.
- ) John Edwards has demonstrated appeal to disaffected Republicans and Independents.
- ) John Edwards has been vetted during the primaries and has gained experience and skill at running a national campaign.
Why do you think the conservative pundits have been talking down Edwards' strengths as a VP? They are scared to death of this man.
Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice.
Please, please Senator Kerry and Democratic establishment, let's win this one. Pick Edwards.