We need to call our Congressional Reps and Senators and tell them: No non-essential business until we find out how it came to be that:
- People were stranded for days when access was easy, warning was given, and vehicles were available.
- FEMA not only wouldn't feed people, but wouldn't let the Red Cross and Walmart and other volunteers feed them.
My wife pointed this out.
1. The surrounding and blockading of a city, town, or fortress
A siege entails:
- Not letting people out.
- Not letting food and essential supplies in.
- Cutting off communications.
Kos diarists, billmon, and Atrios have documented all of these occurrences, to one degree or another. (Sorry, no links -- many Kos diarists have made the links.)
It appears the siege is over. Whether deliberate or not, what the Republican Administration did was an act of war against our fellow citizens.
Now is the time for a strong opposition party to do everything they could to hold the ruling party accountable for what can only be called, at best, their gross dereliction of duty, and what may be something far worse. I'm calling my Congressman and Senators on Tuesday.