On this past Monday, Sandra Bland, three days after being arrested and jailed in Waller County, Texas, died in the county jail. Police have claimed that she hung herself with a garbage bag
. Her death and the circumstances surrounding it have angered and perplexed not only her family, but millions of Americans who are demanding answers. Below are seven essential questions about her arrest, her assault, her death, and the investigation that is underway.
1. Why was Sandra Bland ever asked to get out of her car in the first place? According to police she was pulled over for failure to put on a turn signal. This is perhaps the smallest violation of the law a driver could ever have.
2. Did the arresting officer have on a body camera? Did his police cruiser have a dash cam? If so, will we see the footage?
3. Police officially arrested Sandra Bland for "assaulting a peace officer". They claim that everything was calm when she, in anger, kicked the officer. At best, this seems peculiar. Did other eyewitnesses see this? Was her arrest even legal?
4. In the video of her arrest, Sandra can be heard stating that her head was slammed on the ground, that she was struggling to hear, and that her arm was in a great deal of pain. On Saturday, from the jail, she spoke with her sister and stated that she thought her arm or shoulder were broken. Did she receive medical attention on Friday? If not why? On Saturday, if not, why? Sunday?
More questions below...
5. Police are claiming that Sandra hung herself with a garbage bag in her cell. Will we see the garbage bags and pictures of the cell? What type of garbage bag and system could hold her and her weight to the point of death? Why was it in the cell?
6. Police are claiming that nobody other than Sandra entered her cell on the morning of her death. In addition to footage of people coming in and out of her cell on Monday morning, will the jail release all footage of all of her interactions with guards and inmates from her time there?
7. Records strangely show that Sandra paid her bond and was released on Monday. Is this an error that took place after she died? If so, why?