The Planned Parenthood Federation of America
has been attacked by Right Wing lawmakers and anti-choice religious extremists - for decades. During Tuesday's hearing before the House Committee, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards
put Republicans to shame, calling them out - even telling Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah): 'I would check your source.'
The congressman used a chart he said he found via Planned Parenthood corporate offices, when in truth (something they seem uncomfortable using), the chart Chaffetz presented was from 'Americans United for Life, an anti-abortion group.' We actually pay salaries to these Republican lawmakers who lie, bully, and waste millions of our tax dollars.
NPR news writer, Eyder Peralta, chose six audio clips from Tuesday's hearing, all contained on the same page HERE. His article is titled: '6 Clips Of Audio You Should Hear From The Planned Parenthood Hearing' The clip introductions are in the writer's own words. Peralta's ledes are too good to leave out.
1. "In the fiercest confrontation of the hearing, Rep. Jim Jordan, a Republican from Ohio, sparred with Richards over the apology she issued after the first video was made public. If the videos were so misleading, he asked, then why did Richards apologize:" Rep. Jim Jordan Questions Cecile Richards
Time Length of Audio Clip - 0:13/6:27
2. "Given an opportunity to speak by Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat from Washington, D.C., Richards offered this concise defense of Planned Parenthood:" Cecile Richards Offers Defense Of Planned Parenthood Time Length of Audio Clip - 0:36
3. "Rep. Gerald Connolly, a Democrat from Virginia, chastised his fellow lawmakers for what he said was disrespectful and misogynist behavior toward Richards:" Rep. Gerald Connolly Chastises His Colleagues Time Length of Audio Clip - 1:47
4. "In a hearing dominated with questions about women's rights, Rep. John Duncan, a Tennessee Republican, asked, "Surely you don't expect us to be easier on you because you're a woman?" Richards responded by conjuring up her mother, the late Texas Gov. Ann Richards:" Rep. John Duncan Time Length of Audio Clip - 0:20
5. "Rep. Brenda Lawrence had the most impassioned soliloquy of the hearing. She began by pointing out that the men asking questions had no sensitivity to understand 'what a woman goes through with her health care.'" Rep. Brenda Lawrence Delivers Impassioned Soliloquy Time Length of Audio Clip - 2:03
6. "This hearing was supposed to be about the testimony of Richards. But it really became a debate among lawmakers. This clip with Rep. Paul Gosar, a Republican from Arizona, Richards and Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, a Democrat from New Jersey, makes that point:" Rep. Paul Gosar And Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman Time Length of Audio Clip - 2:00
You can find all of the corresponding audio clips by Eyder Peralta, in the NPR article.
The battle for women's reproductive rights around the world will not end during our lifetime, and perhaps never. We fight - for our daughters and sons, and their daughters and sons, because our foremothers and forefathers fought for us. Not one dime of federal money goes to abortions, yet GOP lawmakers refuse to acknowledge this while using videos that were false/misleading
to try and prove otherwise.
If you've ever considered supporting Planned Parenthood, this would be a crucial time to get involved/contribute. To make a secured Planned Parenthood donation visit: Planned Parenthood Federation of America, or call 800-798-7092. You can also mail donations to: Planned Parenthood Federation of America
PO Box 97166, Washington DC, 20077-7543
Another way to help - Sign/share this Daily Kos petition:
Defend Planned Parenthood against Republican attacks
New England Journal Of Medicine Exposes Truths About Planned Parenthood & The GOP
Catholic Nun Explains Pro-Life In A Way That Will Stun Many (Especially Republican Lawmakers)