Polls: If you stack all of today’s polls on top of one another, you can climb to the Moon.
• CO-Sen: Gravis Marketing (R) for Breitbart: Darryl Glenn (R) 45, Michael Bennet (D-inc) 43 (41-37 Trump)
• CO-Sen: CNN/ORC: Bennet (R-inc): 53, Glenn (R) 43 (42-41 Trump)
• FL-Sen: Cherry Communications (R) for Florida Chamber of Commerce: Marco Rubio (R-inc) 46, Patrick Murphy (D) 42 (43-41 Clinton)
• IA-Sen: Loras College: Chuck Grassley (R-inc) 54, Patty Judge (D) 37 (38-38 presidential tie) (June: 46-45 Grassley)
• NC-Sen: High Point University: Richard Burr (R-inc) 45, Deborah Ross (D) 43 (43-42 Clinton)
• NC-Sen: Meredith College: Ross (D) 38, Burr (R-inc) 35 (38-35 Clinton)
• NC-Sen: Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (D): Burr (R-inc) 46, Ross (D) 30 (44-41 Clinton) (June: 38-36 Ross)
• NC-Sen: Gravis Marketing (R) for Breitbart: Ross (D) 48, Burr (R-inc) 39 (44-43 Clinton)
• NC-Gov: High Point University: Roy Cooper (D) 50, Pat McCrory (R-inc) 41 (43-42 Clinton)
• NC-Gov: Meredith College: McCrory (R-inc) 41, Cooper (D) 39 (43-42 Clinton)
• NH-Sen: ARG: Kelly Ayotte (R-inc) 47, Maggie Hassan (D) 47 (46-42 Clinton) (June: 51-42 Ayotte)
• NH-Gov: ARG: Chris Sununu (R) 45, Colin Van Ostern (D) 44 (46-42 Clinton)
• NV-Sen: Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (D): Joe Heck (R) 47, Catherine Cortez Masto (D): 41 (44-43 Clinton) (Sept.: 49-47 Masto)
• OH-Sen: TargetSmart for William & Mary: Rob Portman (R-inc) 47, Ted Strickland (D) 32 (43-40 Clinton)
• OH-Sen: Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (D): Portman (R-inc) 51, Strickland (D) 34 (41-39 Trump) (June: 43-40 Strickland)
• PA-Sen: CNN/ORC: Katie McGinty (D) 49, Pat Toomey (R-inc) 46 (45-44 Clinton)
• PA-Sen: Muhlenberg: Toomey (R-inc) 41, McGinty (D) 40 (40-38 Clinton) (Sept.: 43-38 McGinty)
• PA-Sen: Harper Polling (R): Toomey (R-inc) 42, McGinty (D) 42 (45-43 Clinton) (March: 48-34 Toomey)
• PA-Sen: Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (D): Toomey (R-inc) 45, McGinty (D) 43 (46-38 Clinton) (June: 46-38 Toomey)
•PA-Sen: Gravis Marketing (R) McGinty (D) 43, Toomey (R-inc) 39 (46-43 Clinton)
Weirdly, while some of Team Blue’s better numbers came from GOP pollster Cherry Communications, the Democratic group Greenberg Quinlan Rosner left Senate Democrats with a big old shit sandwich. But predictably, Gravis still seems to be calling into a strange alternate universe that does not remotely resemble our own.
Florida Democrat Patrick Murphy’s 46-42 deficit to Sen. Marco Rubio in the Cherry Communions poll isn’t going to have him jumping for joy, but it’s one of his better results lately. The HuffPost Pollster average gives Rubio a 48-42 edge.
It’s not clear why the Democratic pollster Greenberg Quinlan Rosner is releasing such awful numbers for their own party, especially since their presidential numbers aren’t even that good for Hillary Clinton. It’s even stranger that GQR has North Carolina Senate Democrat Deborah Ross losing to Sen. Richard Burr by a massive 46-30 margin, a result like no one else has found. Even stranger still, GQR themselves found Ross ahead in June at a time when Burr constantly led.
It’s extremely hard to believe that Ross is trailing this badly and no one else is seeing it, especially since both parties are spending millions in this contest; it’s even tougher to believe that Ross just utterly collapsed in the last few months. As we always say when confronted with a weird poll, throw it in the pile, look at the averages (in this case, Burr leads 45-43), and move on.