The signs have been there, all along. We haven’t been blind to them, but afraid to go Godwin, we haven’t called it for what it is. But we can’t ignore it anymore.
1. “White nationalist” in the White House. Whether you want to call Steve Bannon a Nazi or KKK, it’s an irrelevant distinction. This is a guy who believes that “some degree of separation between peoples is necessary for a culture to be preserved."
2. The Muslim ban. aka “separation between peoples.”
3. Bannon wants chaos, so he cherishes the social upheaval he’s causing. It’s his plan: “Lenin, [...] wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.”
4. Jewish people are now a target. The GOP is now literally the party of “soft Holocaust denial.” On Holocaust Remembrance Day, the White House statement refused to mention Jews because, pretty much, “all lives matter.” (Blue shirt lives matter?) Reince Priebus today continued to defend that craziness: “Everyone suffered in the Holocaust, including the Jewish people.”
5. Disregard for the rule of law. The Trump regime is refusing to comply with judicial orders halting the Muslim ban. We have Constitutional norms, and this regime is openly flaunting them. Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway claimed on Fox News Sunday that the judicial orders “really doesn’t affect the (president’s) Executive Order at all.”
6. Attacks on the free press. The popular-vote loser tweeted today: “Somebody with aptitude and conviction should buy the FAKE NEWS and failing @nytimes and either run it correctly or let it fold with dignity!” Dictators attempt to shut down critical news sources, while promoting state media.
We have an autocratic, racist, psychopathic tyrant in the White House, being controlled by an anti-semitic Nazi. That’s the cold, hard reality.
And that’s why we need all-out resistance: 1) Elected Democrats need to shut Congress down. 2) We need to protest every chance we get (here are today’s protests). And 3) We need to claw back those Nazi-appeasing Republican majorities in Congress. 4) Support companies that resist, oppose those that don’t: so delete Uber app and install Lyft.
We are facing an existential threat to our nation. We can’t have anything less than all-out resistance.