You can’t blame the military for trying, but let's take a look at all the things Donald Trump has personally tasked Jared Kushner, Boy Wonder, with solving:
• He'll be piloting the Middle East peace process, of course. That goes without saying.
• He'll be coming up with a plan to restructure the federal government. He has no expertise here, but he married Ivanka and has a bit of money himself so he must be smart enough to handle that.
• There's the opioid thing. He'll be solving the opioid crisis. That's just a side job, though, and shouldn't interfere with the federal government carve-ups or brokering a lasting peace in the Middle East. Oh, and criminal justice reform. He's "spearheading" that one as well. And improvements at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
• Oh, and Mexico. He's also lent a hand toward stabilizing the administration's relationship with Mexican officials even as Trump continues to insult them.
• He's also the new sort-of secretary of state. Yes, we already have a secretary of state, but Trump doesn't talk to that guy and has prevented him from hiring a staff, so Jared will be doing that too. It is in this capacity that Jared will be in charge of the visit between Trump and the Chinese president at—you guessed it—Mar-a-Lago, where hopefully Kushner can settle this whole trade war and one China and currency manipulator nonsense while Donald gets in another round of golf.
That's why Kushner's trip to Iraq will be so short, in fact. It's because he has to get back in time to be in charge of the Chinese president's visit.
You know, at some point it's possible Jared Kushner is going to have to show some progress, in just one or two of the things golfing Donald has foisted off on him. Or, at the least, he's going to have to finish one or two of them out so that he has a spare moment when Donald declares him to be in charge of our new nuclear war against North Korea. Won't that be fun.