On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled the U.S. House Representative from California’s 23rd Congressional District, Kevin McCarthy, who has served for it since 2007, and the man who was supposed to be the heir-apparent to become Speaker of the House after the resignation of John Boehner, until he botched his debut taking the spotlight by boasting about how he had done a great job as one of the Republicans who started the Benghazi hearings which had successfully driven down Hillary Clinton’s poll numbers… which gave away the game the GOP were playing for three years with the topic. It also didn’t help that McCarthy is one of the WORST public speakers in all of Congress (highlights here, courtesy of Rachel Maddow), or that he was also rumored to be having an affair with his colleague, Rep. Renee Ellmers (and the rumor gained traction from his GOP colleague, the late Rep. Walter Jones).
Even prior to his catastrophic attempt at becoming House Speaker, Kevin McCarthy has a long, long history of dumbassery within his legislative career, including co-sponsoring legislation in 2007 to stop the “War on Christmas” by passing a bill to recognize the importance of Christmas and Christianity, and signing onto a letter from the Family Research Council pledging that he agrees with them that gay candidates should be barred from public office, and he will never support any of them. That should come as little surprise, as McCarthy and his wife have been interviewed together and have talked openly about how they feel how people “don’t want them to have their right to be a Christian” in America today. Throw in twice voting to defund Planned Parenthood, voting against equal pay for women consistently, and voting against raising the debt ceiling, and you really start to get a big picture of how a box of rocks would get a higher SAT score than Kevin McCarthy. In the build-up to the 2016 election, McCarthy was trying to appease the lunatics in his party by promising publicly to turn a prospective Hillary Clinton administration into a never-ending line of hearings about faux-scandals, and teasing that they might vote on impeachment.
Kevin McCarthy works from the most conservative district in California, and has proceeded to continue to shoot his mouth off and embarrass his party, including his admission that he was indifferent about a White Nationalist like Steve Bannon serving as an advisor to the President of the United States, or when audio of him laughing with Congressional colleagues about how he believes both Donald Trump (at the time of the recording, the GOP’s nominee for president), as well as a fellow California Congressman, Dana Rohrabacher, were both being paid by Russian dictator Vladimir Putin.
McCarthy has gone back to Washington to vote against the interests of his constituents, consistently:
- December 10th, 2020: McCarthy signs his name to an amicus brief to the Supreme Court, begging them to overturn the results of the 2020 election. The same election that he won re-election in.
- January 7th, 2021: Kevin McCarthy votes for the objection to the electoral college’s votes in the 2020 election, a failure to send any sort of message that he wasn’t intimidated or sympathetic to those who attacked the Capitol to attempt a violent coup.
- January 13th, 2021: Rep. McCarthy votes against the second impeachment of Donald Trump, because the Republican Party no longer feels like they should be accountable for anything, including failed coups that result in the deaths of both their participants and police officers.
- February 4th, 2021: Kevin McCarthy votes to keep Marjorie Taylor Greene’s committee assignments, because he wouldn’t want her to be accountable for all the bigoted remarks and conspiracy theories she’s spread online (probably because she’s a kindred spirit).
- February 25th, 2021: McCarthy votes against HR 5, the latest version of the Equality Act, that would provide workplace protections for LGBTQ Americans.
- March 3rd, 2021: Rep. McCarthy votes against HR 1, a bill created to prevent the corruption of money in politics, and protect voter access to the ballot box.
- March 3rd, 2021: Kevin McCarthy votes against the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021.
- March 10th, 2021: McCarthy votes against the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, because he feels people deserve to die in poverty during a pandemic.
- March 17th, 2021: Rep. McCarthy votes against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).
- May 19th, 2021: Rep. McCarthy votes against HR 3233, the creation of a commission to investigate the Capitol Attack.
- May 20th, 2021: McCarthy is one of 63 Republicans who vote against the Covid-19 Hate Crimes Act.
Now, we’re not about to forget that during the January 6th attack, Kevin McCarthy was known to have called Donald Trump to ask him to call his dogs off, and was chastised by Donnie Coup Coup Puffs not doing enough to help the mad king just declare himself ruler for life. We only know because Congresswoman Jamie Herrera-Beutler dropped word about it to the press.
For a few days after the January 6th attack, Kevin McCarthy talked about having an investigation and holding those responsible accountable for what they’d done. Once he had time to regroup with members of his caucus to find out… UH OH, looks like they all helped plan this… well, he’s backpedaled by a few weeks later to saying “everyone” was responsible for the attack, in the classic domestic abuser’s mentality that their wife made them hit her.
He met with Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago and immediately was brought to heel like the cowering dog he is, failed to hold a raving madwoman like Marjorie Taylor-Greene in any way accountable for the multiple inflammatory and widely untrue comments she makes, but meanwhile held Liz Cheney accountable for trying to defend American democracy against Republicans’ attempts at placing Trump in power in an election he lost by seven million votes and fell in line with the biggest dunces in this party to try to refuse to wear masks in the House, going as far as trying to claim that there’s no science behind wearing them to prevent the spread of disease.
He dug in to do everything he could to sabotage a non-partisan investigation, and lead House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to go ahead with having just a Special Committee investigation. He’s made threats to telecomm companies that they’ll be punished should they comply with the investigation by turning over phone records or in any way, potentially committing obstruction of justice in the process.
When history looks back on this era of this country, and Republicans faile to have any principles or backbone are mentioned, Kevin McCarthy will be listed as a prime example of who those doormats were.
One Year Ago, November 1st, 2020: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… 2020 Update
Two Years Ago, November 1st, 2019: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… 2019 Update
Three Years Ago, November 1st, 2018: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… 2018 Update
Four Year Ago, November 1st, 2017: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… 2017 Update
Five Years Ago, November 1st, 2016: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… 2016 Update
Six Years Ago, November 1st, 2015: Kevin McCarthy (CA)… Original Profile
Seven Years Ago, November 1st, 2014: Stacey Campfield (TN)