In the news today: A new pandemic surge among unvaccinated Americans is again threatening to overwhelm regional health systems. A new report suggests that after Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was accused of a pattern of sexual assaults, the resulting FBI investigation of the claims consisted of little to no actual investigation. Ever-ambitious Texas Gov. Greg Abbott follows through with his plan for “emergency” arrests of migrants in what Texas border counties deem to be a racist stunt and the ACLU believes to be flatly illegal.
Here's some of what you may have missed:
• 'Breakthrough' infections are not—that's not—driving the new surge in the United States
• Pelosi likely to appoint Republicans to insurrection probe regardless of McCarthy's obstruction
• Senate Democrats say FBI ignored tips in Brett Kavanaugh investigation
• Biden betrays the Black activists who got him to the White House in filibuster stance
• Texas begins arresting migrants under 'emergency' declaration rejected by Rio Grande Valley counties
• Just How Dangerous is Covid-19—A Worst Case Analysis from Taiwan
Also trending from the community:
• I've lost my entire family to Trumpism! I don't know what to do!
• Incel charged with plotting misogynist terror attack on sorority women at university in Ohio