The best antidote to hot takes is hard data, and the latest Daily Kos/Civiqs poll is here with your cure. This survey of 1,271 registered voters was conducted online from Aug. 28-31 and finds that 52% of Americans approve of withdrawing American troops from Afghanistan. Further, 54% of Americans say that the U.S. should take in more refugees from Afghanistan who are seeking to escape Taliban rule.
Other noteworthy findings in this month’s poll include:
- A significant 71% of Americans—including 93% of Democrats and 47% of Republicans—approve of the Biden administration increasing the COVID-19 vaccine supply and administering shots to over 200 million Americans.
- Half of Americans think businesses and organizations that serve large groups of people (including airlines, sporting events, and concert venues) should require proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Half of Americans approve of the enhanced child tax credit payments to eligible parents.
- 55% of Americans approve of President Joe Biden and Democrats passing the American Rescue Plan economic stimulus package.
- 52% approve of Democrats passing a $1.1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill in the U.S. Senate.
Additional issues surveyed include the direct impact of the Biden administration on Americans’ everyday lives, declaring Juneteenth a federal holiday, canceling student debt, and viewership of Fox News, Newsmax, One American News Network, and MSNBC.
This poll’s numbers reveal that not only do Americans approve of Biden’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan, but they also believe we should be doing more to help refugees fleeing the Taliban takeover.
This month’s survey also provides strong evidence that frequent Fox News viewers are deeply disconnected from mainstream Americans. Despite the fact that 55% of Americans approve of the passage of the American Rescue Plan, just 12% of frequent Fox News viewers approve. A whopping 77% of frequent Fox News viewers disapprove of Biden repealing the Trump-era ban on transgender Americans serving in the U.S. military, versus just 40% of Americans overall.
Civiqs is an award-winning survey research firm that conducts scientific public opinion polls on the Internet through its nationally representative online survey panel. Founded in 2013, Civiqs specializes in political and public policy polling. Results from Civiqs’ daily tracking polls can be found online at civiqs.com.