In 1904, the City of Spokane, Washington, obtained 95 acres of land which became Manito Park. The name manito is an Algonquian Indian word for spiritual forces. Rose Hill was developed in the late 1940s as a joint venture between the Spokane Rose Society and the Spokane Parks and Recreation Department. The gardens now hold 150 varieties of hybrid tea, grandiflora, floribunda, and miniature roses. Shown below are a dozen different roses from the garden.