You’ve read the articles and heard the pundits on TV predict what will happen if GOP wins one or both houses of Congress in 2022 and Trump becoming president again. They say America will become a repressive white nationalist fascist country.
In order to pull this off, Republicans have to depend on a perfect storm of several events.
- Voter disenfranchisement will be successful.
- White supremacists and their ilk will have to outvote Democrats, moderate Republicans, and independents who want an inclusive country.
- There won’t be a major backlash against the crazies like Marjorie Taylor Green (whose latest outburst is being reported: ”Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene And Debbie Dingell Have Capitol Steps Shouting Match”) and the lunatics who, for example, now advocate inhaling peroxide in addition to using ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 and the QAnon conspiracists.
- The rush to reverse Roe v Wade and make all abortions illegal won’t lead to a backlash.
- The major enablers of Trump in Congress, particularly Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham, have to remain loyal to him.
- The courts, up to and including The Supreme Court, have to rule in Trump’s favor should his attempts to avoid legal actions against him reach the courts.
- Trump manages not to go totally, I mean totally, batshit certifiably crazy or demented. I mean so mentally ill nobody can deny there’s something terribly wrong as he babbles incompressible gibberish and tears at his skin trying to scratch off the flesh eating bugs trying to devour his face.
- Trump, who in his delusional narcissism believes he is immortal, has not anointed an heir to his throne, so he can’t die.
- All of this is contingent on Biden and the Democrats not succeeding in achieving their agenda in ways that swing voters don’t experience as impacting their own lives in positive ways.
The warning is being sounded in the liberal media, for example In essays like “Opinion: Our constitutional crisis is already here” by Robert Kagan (a Neo-conservative) published in The Washington Post where we are told that “the United States is heading into its greatest political and constitutional crisis since the Civil War, with a reasonable chance over the next three to four years of incidents of mass violence, a breakdown of federal authority, and the division of the country into warring red and blue enclaves.”
We have to be well informed and alert. We must not minimize the danger. However, I think we have to manage our anxiety and try to look realistically at how many things have to happen for the fascists and crazies to be victorious.
In my first comments below, the links and excerpts from articles, are meant to be an addendum to this diary.