A Colorado court just recently released to the public the discovery documents from a lawsuit by Dominion Voting Systems directors against members of the Trump team, including Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani. The suit claims that the defendants spread lies and conspiracy theories about Dominion perpetrating election fraud in the 2020 election.
As reported on The Rachel Maddow Show last night, and summarized here, Giuliani’s sworn discovery testimony included the following:
- Giuliani only saw information about the conspiracy theory (that Dominion had rigged the election for Biden) on social media. He “thinks it was Facebook”, but isn’t sure, because “these social media get [sic] all one with me”.
- He didn’t see any other than that one post.
- He didn’t talk to the alleged witness, nor is he aware of anyone on his team who did.
- When asked how he knew the source was credible, he said “it’s not my job to find out if he’s credible … otherwise you wouldn’t have a story”.
- He mocked the whole question of credibility by saying “I would have to have been a terrible lawyer if I had gone out … and said ‘Gee, let’s see if that’s untrue’”. Apparently, if a story helps his clients, it’s absolutely awful lawyering to check it out!!
This story about rigged elections became widespread among Republicans, and the basis of the big Trump lie that is believed by Republicans today.