On this date one year ago, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” first profiled the U.S. House Representative from Arkansas’ 3rd Congressional District, Steve Womack, who was first elected back in… what else… the 2010 Tea Party Wave. And while we didn’t hear too much from Steve Womack during his first three terms in office save for the time when as a freshman rep that he literally tried defunding President Obama’s teleprompter, since Donald Trump went and had the Russians help him steal the 2016 election, Womack has decided his foot tastes delicious and has repeatedly shoved it in his mouth since 2017.
Let’s start with his first town hall after Trump got elected, when Womack declared that people on welfare “just stay on the couch and eat potato chips”
“We have got to a point where we are providing billions and billions and billions of dollars for people who won’t, not for people who can. We have made it really easy for people to stay on the couch, eat their potato chips, get their Section 8 housing, get their SNAP benefits, get all these other benefits. I’ve got two issues with hiring people … first one is, they’re having a hard time finding people with the proper skillsets … the second problem they have is, even if they can produce a skillset, they can’t pass a urine test!”
Ah yes. The classic myth that people on welfare are all just deadbeat drug addicts. Thanks for saying it out loud, Steve, so we know you’re full of s***.
So speaking of people who are full of s***, how far do you think Steve Womack is willing to go on behalf of Donald Trump? Other than trying to protect him from being impeached, we mean… well, in January of 2018, after Trump’s comments about Haiti and several other actions became public knowledge, Womack made his own bigotry a matter of public record, when he weighed in on the matter and said:
”If you’re only appealing to people from countries that are behind the times, depraved countries, if that’s the element you’re appealing to … we should make the same or a better appeal to people from other European countries that can come in here and actually fit into the society as we know it.”
Oh… appeal to people from EUROPEAN countries, not Haiti or the African ones, because they’re “depraved”. Sounds more like Trump or even Steve King, y’know?
Our third moment from Steve Womack that caused us concern came in August of 2019, when he told a town hall that the real cause of mass shootings is “too many single parents” and “Godless schools”. Not only is that not accurate, it seems as though Womack is also now showing us that he doesn’t really understand, or care that there’s a whole separation of church and state guaranteed in the Constitution.
Arkansas’ 3rd Congressional District has a +19 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, If we weren’t already establishing that this man is an extremist, feel free to peek at his voting record:
- December 18th, 2019: Womack ignores his Congressional duty to hold a president who has been proven to commit high crimes and misdemeanors accountable and votes against the first impeachment of Donald Trump.
- May 15th, 2020: Womack votes against the HEROES Act, to further support the healthcare industry and citizens affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- December 10th, 2020: Womack signs his name to an amicus brief to the Supreme Court, begging them to overturn the results of the 2020 election. The same election that he won re-election in.
- January 13th, 2021: Rep. Womack votes against the second impeachment of Donald Trump, because the Republican Party no longer feels like they should be accountable for anything, including failed coups that result in the deaths of both their participants and police officers.
- February 4th, 2021: Steve Womack votes to keep Marjorie Taylor Greene’s committee assignments, because he wouldn’t want her to be accountable for all the bigoted remarks and conspiracy theories she’s spread online (probably because she’s a kindred spirit).
- February 25th, 2021: Womack votes against HR 5, the latest version of the Equality Act, that would provide workplace protections for LGBTQ Americans.
- March 3rd, 2021: Rep. Womack votes against HR 1, a bill created to prevent the corruption of money in politics, and protect voter access to the ballot box.
- March 3rd, 2021: Steve Womack votes against the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021.
- March 10th, 2021: Womack votes against the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, because he feels people deserve to die in poverty during a pandemic.
- March 17th, 2021: Rep. Womack votes against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).
- May 20th, 2021: Womack is one of 63 Republicans who vote against the Covid-19 Hate Crimes Act.
We’ll note in closing that Steve Womack is one of only 33 Republicans who voted for a bipartisan commission to investigate the January 6th attack on the Capitol. And for DARING to find out all the details of how Trump supporters may have specifically organized one of the most flagrant and brazen domestic terror attacks in our nation’s history in plain sight… He’s getting a primary challenge from the right in 2022. Because having even a modicum of dedication to accountability makes you persona non grata in the GOP these days.
One Year Ago, September 3rd, 2020: Steve Womack (AR)… Original Profile
Two Years Ago, September 3rd, 2019: Randy Boehning (ND)… 2019 Update
Three Years Ago, September 3rd, 2018: Randy Boehning (ND)… 2018 Update
Four Years Ago, September 3rd, 2017: Randy Boehning (ND)… 2017 Update
Five Years Ago, September 3rd, 2016: Randy Boehning (ND)… 2016 Update
Six Years Ago, September 3rd, 2015: Randy Boehning (ND)… Original Profile Seven Years Ago, September 3rd, 2014: Roy Ashburn (CA)