Fort Missoula was established as a military post near Missoula, Montana in 1877 and in 1975, the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula (HMFM) was founded. The fort was an open fort in that it did not have barrier walls. Today the Museum exhibits are located in the Quartermaster’s Storehouse and the Museum’s 32-acre park contains a number of historic buildings.
The map shows the various buildings.
Shown above is an overview of the park.
Another overview of the park.
Quartermaster’s Storehouse
Originally built in 1911, this building currently serves as the main museum building.
Fort Missoula Guard Tower
Built in 1941, this building was used during World War II when Fort Missoula served as an Alien Detention Center.
Quartermaster’s Root Cellar
Built in 1908, this earth-covered cellar provided cool storage for fresh vegetables and perishables needed to feed the men. The metal vents on top circulated the air and kept the temperature constant.
Sliderock Lookout
Built in the 1930s, the lookout was brought to HMFM in 1983.
Miller Creek Guard Cabin
Built in 1910-1915 and brought to HMFM in 1983, this cabin was one located in Miller Creek.
Drummond Depot
The Drummond Depot was built in 1910 by the Milwaukee Road (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Co.) in Drummond, located about 60 miles southeast of Missoula. When the railroad closed its Montana operations in 1982, the depot was moved to the HMFM park.
Hayes Homestead Cabin
The Hayes Homestead Cabin was built about 1900 and was brought to the Museum’s park in 1974. The cabin is bunkhouse style and was originally located in the Potomac Valley east of Missoula.
Grant Creek Schoolhouse
The Grant Creek Schoolhouse was built in 1907 and moved to the Museum’s park in 1976. This one-room schoolhouse served a farming community.
Noncommissioned Officer’s Quarters
The Noncommissioned Officer’s Quarters is one of the last original Fort buildings. This duplex log building was built in 1878.
St. Michael’s Church
St. Michael’s Church was built by Jesuits at the original Hell Gate village located about 4 miles west of Missoula. The building was brought to the Museum’s park in 1981 and is the oldest known building in Missoula County.
Alien Detention Center Barracks
These were built in the 1940s to hour Italians and Japanese men who were detained at the fort during World War II.
Trolley Barn
Built in 2007 to house a restored interurban streetcar, a 1918 American-La France fire engine, and the Blackfoot stagecoach.
More museum photo tours
Fort Missoula: One-room schoolhouse (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: Homestead cabin (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: A model railroad display (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: Alien Detention Camp (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: St. Michael's Church (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: Steam Operated Sawmill (photo diary)
Fort Missoula: Model railroad display buildings (photo diary)