Even Axios is amazed at the past 24 hours of Trump derangement on social media.
“To ALL Democrats, be careful what you wish for.”
In the past, he’s used words like communists, socialists, fascists, and “thugs,” and we all knew that he meant Democrats. Today is the first day that he sent the threat out to Democrats by name. I broke the message into paragraphs so your eyes don’t glaze over.
“I’m 12 Points up on Crooked Joe Biden – But he’s got the Justice Department and others suing me wherever and whenever possible – WEAPONIZATION, it’s called, and maybe that can make a difference.”
“This has never been done on this scale before, not in our Country, but it opens up a very big and dangerous Pandora’s Box. Joe Biden should stop his Election Interfering Thugs before it is too late for him and the rest of the Country.”
Let me break in to make a couple of points very quickly.
He is not up “12 points on Joe Biden,” and we need to start watching his exaggeration because when Biden beats him in 2024, the first thing Trump is going to scream is, “I was polling at nine points up! Rigged!” and there begins the war.
In reality, the last two polls have Biden up, barely.
Second, Trump assumes that Biden runs his administration like Trump ran his, where he told Barr who to prosecute and who not to prosecute.
Joe Biden has no authority to stop the charges. The two federal ones are brought by a special prosecutor operating outside the Department of Justice. The other two are state cases.
Last, “this” has never been done before because we have never had a criminal try to steal an election before or attempt to keep some of the country’s most valuable secrets.
Why it matters: Trump's online rhetoric has frequently dipped into violent extremism since he left office, escalating as his legal troubles have mounted. Public fatigue and the pro-Trump echo chamber created by Truth Social have at times softened the shock value of the GOP front-runner's daily musings.
Zoom in: Below is a sampling of Trump's online rhetoric over the last 24 hours:
- Nov. 28, 11:13 pm: Called on the government to "come down hard" on MSNBC and "make them pay" for its critical coverage of Republicans, after previously vowing to investigate parent company Comcast if elected.
- Nov. 29, 12:36 am: Doubled down on his pledge to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, saying "Obamacare Sucks!!!"
- Nov. 29, 12:55 am: Accused writer E. Jean Carroll of fabricating sexual assault allegations against him, despite twice being found liable for defamation for similar comments.
- Nov. 29, 8:26 am: Warned that his indictments have opened up a "very big and dangerous Pandora's Box," building on recent suggestions that he will use the Justice Department to prosecute his enemies if elected.
- Nov. 29, 10:33 am: Called GOP rival Nikki Haley "a very weak and ineffective Birdbrain" after she was endorsed by the Koch political network.
- Nov. 29, 12:50 pm: Posted a link to a report by anti-Muslim conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer with a photoshopped picture of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wearing Hamas insignia.
- Nov. 29, 1:11 pm: Claimed that he has "done more for Black people than any other President," potentially including Abraham Lincoln.
- Nov. 29, 3:58 pm, 3:59 pm, 4:00pm, 4:01pm, 4:02pm: Targeted the wife of New York Judge Arthur Engoron — who is presiding over his civil fraud trail — in five separate posts for allegedly criticizing the Trump family and other Republicans on social media. Engoron's wife has denied making the posts, saying she doesn't have an X account.