Aka scaly anteaters. Their diet consists primarily of ants and termites. They can extend their tongues as much as 16 inches to capture their prey. They are not related to the armadillos they resemble, it was just a case of convergent evolution.
They live solitary lives, only getting together to mate, and raising their young for about two years.
They are native to Asia (4 species) and sub-Saharan Africa (4 species). Within the African group there is a split between the large ground-dwelling genus Smutsia, and the small arboreal genus Phataginus.
Their scales are made of keratin, like fingernails and toenails. Unfortunately they are the most trafficked animals on the planet.
A gentle reminder of how we do things: 🐱🐶🐦
- Do not troll the diary. If you hate pootie diaries, leave now. No harm, no foul.
- Please do share pics of your fur kids! If you have health/behavior issues with your pets, feel free to bring it to the community.
- Pooties are cats; Woozles are dogs. Birds... are birds! Peeps are people.
- Whatever happens in the outer blog STAYS in the outer blog. If you’re having “issues” with another Kossack, keep it “out there.” This is a place to relax and play; please treat it accordingly.
- There are some pics we never post: snakes, creepy crawlies, any and all photos that depict or encourage human cruelty toward animals. These are considered “out of bounds” and will not be tolerated. If we alert you to it, please remember that we do have phobic peeps who react strongly to them. If you keep posting banned pics...well then...the Tigress will have to take matters in hand. Or, paw.