Ukrainian forces recently made confirmed advances near Kreminna and Donetsk City and in western Zaporizhia Oblast, and Russian forces recently made confirmed advances near Kupyansk and Kreminna.
The European Union (EU) is beginning to take concrete steps towards possibly using frozen Russian assets to aid Ukraine. The European Council adopted a decision and regulation stating that central securities depositaries (CSDs) holding more than one million euros ($1.07 million) in assets from the Russian Central Bank must separate any profits generated from the primary accounts. The European Council stated that this decision could allow the European Council to decide to support Ukraine’s recovery and reconstruction using these profits in the future. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba “welcomed” the European Council‘s decision and called for further “ambitious” and “prompt” steps towards using revenues from frozen Russian assets to aid Ukraine.
- Ukraine’s Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported that elements of Lebanese Hezbollah (LH) and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) are training Russian drone operators at the Shayrat Air Base in Syria.
- The Russian State Duma is considering a bill to restrict actors that the Russian government designates as “undesirable” from entering Russia, likely as part of ongoing efforts to censor opposition media outlets and dismantle ties between Russia and foreign and international non-governmental organizations.
- Boris Nadezhdin, the only openly anti-war Russian presidential candidate, filed two lawsuits in the Russian Supreme Court challenging the Russian Central Election Commission’s (CEC) refusal to register him as a candidate as the Kremlin continues efforts to suppress popular opposition while trying to preserve the veneer of legitimacy of Russian presidential elections.
- The European Union (EU) is beginning to take concrete steps towards possibly using frozen Russian assets to aid Ukraine.
- Ukrainian forces recently made confirmed advances near Kreminna and Donetsk City and in western Zaporizhia Oblast, and Russian forces recently made confirmed advances near Kupyansk and Kreminna.
- South Korean news outlet Yonhap News Agency reported on February 12 that North Korea has developed 240mm guided multiple rocket launcher system (MLRS) mortar that North Korea may export to Russia.
- Russian authorities continue to use youth engagement programs to Russify Ukrainian youth.
Russian Main Effort – Eastern Ukraine
Russian Subordinate Main Effort #1 – Luhansk Oblast (Russian objective: Capture the remainder of Luhansk Oblast and push westward into eastern Kharkiv Oblast and northern Donetsk Oblast)
Russian and Ukrainian forces recently made confirmed gains along the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line. Geolocated footage posted on February 12 shows that Russian forces marginally advanced northwest of the Synkivka-Lake Lyman area (northeast of Kupyansk). Additional geolocated footage posted on February 12 shows that Russian forces marginally advanced east of Terny (west of Kreminna) and are now operating within two kilometers of the outskirts of Terny itself. Geolocated footage posted on February 11 indicates that Ukrainian forces regained some tactical positions about three kilometers east of Yampolivka (west of Kreminna). Ukrainian and Russian sources reported continued positional fighting northeast of Kupyansk near Ivanivka, Synkivka, and Lake Lyman; southeast of Kupyansk near Tabaivka and Tymkivka; west of Kreminna near Terny and Yampolivka; southwest of Kreminna near Dibrova; and south of Kreminna near Bilohorivka. ...Elements of the Russian 4th Guards Tank Division (1st Guards Tank Army, Western Military District) and 7th Motorized Rifle Brigade (2nd Luhansk People’s Republic [LNR] Army Corps) are reportedly operating near Svatove and Bilohorivka, respectively.
Russian Subordinate Main Effort #2 – Donetsk Oblast (Russian objective: Capture the entirety of Donetsk Oblast, the claimed territory of Russia’s proxies in Donbas)
Russian forces reportedly advanced west of Bakhmut amid continued positional fighting in the area on February 12. … Positional fighting continued near Bohdanivka; west of Bakhmut near Ivanivske; southwest of Bakhmut near Klishchiivka, Andriivka, and Kurdyumivka; and south of Bakhmut near Mayorske, Pivdenne, and Niu York. Elements of the 98th Airborne (VDV) Division are reportedly operating south of Bohdanivka, and the Chechen “Sever-Akhmat” detachment (78th Motorized Rifle Regiment, 42nd Motorized Rifle Division, 58th Combined Arms Army, Southern Military District) is reportedly operating near Klishchiivka.
Russian forces reportedly advanced in Avdiivka amid continued positional fighting near the city on February 12. ...Positional fighting also continued north of Avdiivka near Novobakhmutivka; west of Avdiivka near Tonenke; and southwest of Avdiivka near Pervomaiske and Nevelske. Ukrainian Tavriisk Group of Forces Spokesperson Dmytro Lykhovyi stated that Russian forces are using more armored vehicles, tanks, and infantry fighting vehicles in the Avdiivka direction.
Ukrainian forces recently marginally advanced southwest of Donetsk City amid continued positional fighting to the west and southwest of the city on February 12. Positional fighting continued near Krasnohorivka, Heorhiivka, Pobieda, and Novomykhailivka. Elements of the Russian 150th Motorized Rifle Division (8th Combined Arms Army [CAA], Southern Military District [SMD]) are reportedly operating in the Kurakhove direction west of Donetsk City; elements of the 5th Motorized Rifle Brigade (1st Donetsk People’s Republic [DNR] Army Corps [AC]) are reportedly operating in the Krasnohorivka-Heorhiivka direction (also west of Donetsk City); elements of 255th Motorized Rifle Regiment’s “Tiger” Battalion (20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, 8th CAA) are reportedly operating near Pobieda and Novomykhailivka (southwest of Donetsk City); and elements of the 155th Naval Infantry Brigade (Pacific Fleet) are reportedly operating near Novomykhailivka (southwest of Donetsk City).