You can sign Shaheen's petition here:In 2010, New Hampshire became one of the first states in the country to legalize same-sex marriage.
But three years later, legally married same-sex couples in New Hampshire and other states are still denied federal benefits because of the Defense of Marriage Act. We must no longer tolerate the kind of discrimination contained within DOMA.We can change that by speaking out – before the Supreme Court begins hearing a challenge to DOMA in just 6 days. Along with several Senate colleagues, I’ve started a petition calling for DOMA to be overturned. I need you to join us now.
Click here to sign our petition letting the Supreme Court know that you support overturning DOMA:
Same-sex couples shouldn’t be discriminated against in the tax code. Grieving families shouldn’t be denied Social Security and retirement benefits when a loved one passes on. Children shouldn’t have to feel like their parents’ love isn’t enough – or that it doesn’t count.
LGBT Americans deserve equal treatment under the law. It’s that simple.
But they won’t get it until we do away with DOMA.
This is the greatest civil rights struggle of our time, but we’re on the cusp of breaking through. With your help, we can do it now. Let the justices know where you stand.
Tell the Supreme Court that you support full marriage equality:
Received this e-mail from Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D. NH) this morning:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Earlier today, May 28th, the NC house cleared a gay marriage objections bill that allows court officials to opt out of same-sex marriage duties based on religious Objections “sincerely held”.7 comments 13 Recs
- The Justice Department has indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on reporting evasion charges and lying to the FBI as part of an effort to pay off victims of “prior bad acts.” In an ...79 comments 104 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...676 comments 135 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...358 comments 140 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...300 comments 314 Recs
- Stand up and say you're mad as hell and you won't take it anymore! Elizabeth Warren was a guest speaker this week at The Code Conference —"where top industry influencers in ...45 comments 93 Recs
- Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here .175 comments 2 Recs
- Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (left) faces a ...40 comments 18 Recs
- While the political press corps moans about how ...445 comments 127 Recs
- I wrote a diary last week about how Scott in ...22 comments 15 Recs
- No current results.