This same diary was cross-posted by the diarist in Addicting InfoYes, according to an IRS memo, tar sands oil is not considered “crude oil.” Tar sands oil is in the category of dlibit (shale oil, liquids from coal, tar sands, or biomass). What does this mean? It means the legal definition of dilbit has exempted Exxon from paying into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, (OSLTF) which will be the national fund used to clean up the Arkansas tar sands oil spill.
In a discussion last July, Esa Ramasamy, an editorial director at Platts, a global energy information provider, said the 1980 definition of crude oil dates back to a time when it wasn’t financially feasible to produce tar sands oil on a large scale. The first sizeable shipments of dilbit into the U.S. didn’t occur until 1999.“Tar sands production is now a huge industry,” he said, and Congress didn’t expect that when the tax was created.Other environmental watchdogs, including Anthony Swift, have debated the crude oil definition and exemption.
“The key issue is, is tar sands crude oil?…When it comes to taxes, the industry gets to make the argument that tar sands isn’t crude oil,” said Swift, an attorney for the Natural Resources Defense Council who has spent years advocating for better pipeline safety. “But when it comes to the safety of moving tar sands in pipelines, they say it’s just like crude oil.”Swift said the exemption is particularly galling because dilbit is more corrosive to pipelines than conventional crude—something that the industry disputes. He believes it would probably take an act of Congress to remove the current exemption.
“Congress could certainly amend the definition of crude oil for the purposes of the excise tax to include tar sands and synthetic crude. It’s surprising that the definition has remained unchanged since 1980, he said. “I think … it’s one of these issues that has fallen under the radar, just as the expansion of tar sands in the U.S. [did] until recently. Until a couple of years ago, people had no idea what was running through [pipelines].”Though they did not pay into the national fund that will be used for the Arkansas oil spill clean up, Exxon will be required to fix the pipeline. An order from the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration has halted any flow through the pipeline until the agency approves the repairs. A small victory to be sure.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
dragonlady, Gooserock, greenbird, eeff, CitizenOfEarth, StrayCat, JVolvo, kurt, carpunder, Christy1947, Yasuragi
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- Terrible Presidential candidate Jeb Bush has had a very hard time distancing himself from his brother George Jr., the worst President in US history. Okay, maybe he is showing some of them ...28 comments 39 Recs
- The other day a guy tried to run me off the road. I was driving to work at around 70mph in heavy traffic. A large pickup passes me on the right, and then barrels into my lane with about 3 feet of ...71 comments 33 Recs
- A section of Refugio State Beach tainted by oil from burst pipe. Since 2006, the U.S. Pipeline and ...117 comments 145 Recs
- GOP 2016 hopefuls have decided it's all about the base on ...22 comments 23 Recs
- A portion of the 4-mile-wide oil spill near Santa Barbara, CA Campers at popular Refugio State Beach in California were alarmed by noxious fumes and notified authorities, who discovered ...101 comments 156 Recs
- I wanted to write about "Grace and Frankie" this week. The new series on Netflix stars Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda as two 70-something wives whose husbands ...180 comments 88 Recs
- Quick heads-up to remind my fellow progressives to be a bit more cautious when sharing anti-Hillary memes on the Net. Karl Rove and the Koch brothers are busy trying to undermine our strongest ...421 comments 182 Recs
- I guess this is the kind of heart-warming bipartisanship President Obama has been hoping for after all these years of tooth-and-nail opposition from Republicans: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Top ...100 comments 97 Recs
- Last Thursday (May 7) here at Daily Kos, I published the first public disclosure of a shocking collapse of the state's voter registration system here in North Carolina under Republican Gov. Pat ...143 comments 389 Recs
- I don't know about you, but I am tired of these videos popping up with actual, factual brutality and sometimes DEATH of the alledged suspect at the hands of the police. This video below, will just ...147 comments 285 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.