Daily Kos memberGive a gift subscription to this user
Lieutenant Steve - brainwashed police officer
After reading the story about Rep. Paul Ryan's false 'no free school lunch' story he told at CPAC and the general feeling among conservatives that kids need to work for their free lunches, I wanted to tell my free school lunch horror story. Yes, when I was a kid I had free school lunches and it made me feel so ashamed, but not for the reason you might think.
Good Oral Health Is Important
The problems with the national Healthcare.gov website have been reported quite a bit by a national media that loves to parrot Republican talking points. I really hoped that the bias in the reporting would stay with the national media and my local media would do a better job. I was wrong. The one station I watch most often, WBNS 10TV, in Columbus, breathlessly reported the problems signing up for the insurance exchange but has failed to offer any context or any success stories.
Friends of mine who are somewhat liberal ask me, Why can't we drug test welfare recipients? I got tested for my job. It's true, many people are tested for drug use before being employed. Even the government tests their employees. That still doesn't make testing welfare recipients constitutional. If the Fourth Amendment means anything it means the government has to have probable cause to test you for drugs. Having a bias toward poor people, thinking they must all be dirty and on drugs isn't probable cause and it also doesn't match with the actual evidence of drug use by people on public assistance.
If you aren't doing anything wrong then this should not be a problem, right?
August E. Brunsman IV, Executive Director of the Secular Student Alliance
The Steubenville, Ohio rape trial is over and both boys were found guilty. News reports of some of the testimony on Saturday really ticked me off. It is real simple guys, if the girl is shitfaced drunk she can't give consent for sex - period. Taking advantage of a woman who is drunk is rape. It also makes you a coward since you have to have her intoxicated to get your jollies.
Speaker John Boehner: I got 98% of what I wanted... HA! HA!
Hancock County Ohio Sheriff Michael Heldman
The Romney-Ryan campaign like most cheap labor conservatives think that poor people are just lazy and would have a job if we didn't coddle them with things like food stamps and welfare but they also like to complain the "real" unemployment rate is 14% or more. I'm still waiting for them to explain where all these jobs are that lazy poor people are refusing to do? If there were plenty of jobs needing to be filled then the unemployment rate, real or otherwise wouldn't even be close to 14%. That is a simple logical reason Republicans and their inhuman policy ideas are wrong for this country.
President Obama visits a wind turbine factory
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Recommended by cadfile
- Honest answer to a reader's question No snark, no smartassery. This is one of the finest responses I've ever seen to this kind of question. Setup: The Charlotte Observer's Taylor Batten wrote a ...138 comments 644 Recs
- 63 comments 50 Recs
- As schools nationwide embrace campaigns to stop bullying, one well-liked Ohio teacher is out of her job after she tried to show one bully how his behavior ...170 comments 66 Recs
- Over the past few years, two topics have come to dominate the discourse about religion in America. The implementation of the Affordable Care Act and especially the rapid acceptance of marriage ...120 comments 87 Recs
- Just take it easy Four Swedish police officers, riding on New York City's 6 train, had to go back to work briefly, in order to subdue two ...327 comments 275 Recs
- A beautiful thing. When Representative Christopher Smith (R-New Jersey and A-Hole in general ) asked then-Secretary Hillary Clinton back in 2009 about the "sanctity of life" and banning abortion ...302 comments 317 Recs
- Feel safe crossing this bridge? The Missouri Department of Transportation made an abrupt announcement yesterday as commuters were heading ...198 comments 330 Recs
- Charles M. Blow has a really perfectly stated and straight to the point piece about ...117 comments 236 Recs
- The Indiana Legislature, the legislature that wrote a version of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act that implicitly allowed for discrimination against the LGBT community, has bucked Governor ...55 comments 35 Recs
- Governor Mike Pence's bigoted views go back a long way. From Tuesday's press conference with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence:72 comments 60 Recs