John Boehner was on Face the Nation today where he said thet what's good for the top 1% of Americans is good for all Americans.
HARRY SMITH: Well, one of the things that the President also said during this town meeting was, well, let’s have this conversation but the rich have got to start paying more of a fair share.
REPRESENTATIVE JOHN BOEHNER: The top one percent of wage earners in the United States--
HARRY SMITH: Mm-Hm.
REPRESENTATIVE JOHN BOEHNER: --pay forty percent of the income taxes.
HARRY SMITH: Right.
REPRESENTATIVE JOHN BOEHNER: The top ten percent of wage earners pay ninety percent of the income taxes. The people he’s talking about taxing are the very people that we expect to reinvest in our economy--
HARRY SMITH: Right.
REPRESENTATIVE JOHN BOEHNER: --and to create jobs in our country.
Face the Nation pdf.
Boehner conveniently ignores the fact that the top 1% are the very investor class that has been most vocal in pressuring corporations to increase their profits by moving more American jobs offshore.
HARRY SMITH: But he’s talking about going back to, say, Clinton-era tax levels at which point you had what about a four percent annual growth in-- in GDP? I mean just a-- just to kick the can back a little bit.
REPRESENTATIVE JOHN BOEHNER: We don’t have an economy as good as we had during the-- the Clinton-era, when Republicans were in charge of the Congress.
Boehner also conveniently ignores the fact that the Republicans controlled the Congress AND had George W. Bush in the White House when Wall Street Banks were allowed to put the economy on a catastrophic course by inflating a bubble in the housing market for the sake of higher profits and bonuses, with devastating results for most Americans.
But for the top 1% of Americans their stocks have recovered from downturn, happy days are here again. Corporate profits have never been higher, and their Republican Champions in the Congress are busily imposing their whims using blackmail that they would harm the entire country as leverage. Boehnier went on to reiterate that threat.
Boehner made it abundantly clear that he and his Republicans work for top 1% of Americans. Never mind how much the other 99% of Americans will suffer because to Republican hacks in the Congress we don't matter. We don't give multi-million dollar gifts to shadowy political advocacy groups.