“The announcement appears to be directly contrary to an order by a federal judge, who ruled last month that the administration must immediately begin accepting new applications for the DACA program,” The New York Times reported. “Officials said they expected court challenges from immigration advocates, given the Supreme Court’s decision and the judge’s order.”
Fucking damn right they should. “Trump & DHS are now in open defiance of the Supreme Court and several federal courts,” tweeted immigration attorney Lily Axelrod. “Despite being ordered to restore the entire #DACA program (including new applications) they now openly announce that they will not do so”:
“A federal court already ordered a high-level DHS official to come back to court this Friday to explain what on earth is going on and why the admin isn't openly accepting new #DACA apps,” Axelrod continued. “Expect to see him/her raked over the coals, and possible contempt of court proceedings.”
"The courts have spoken: DACA is in full effect, including for new applications,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement received by Daily Kos. “We are ready if the Trump admin tries to block or dismantle DACA. We know what it takes to defend DACA—we've done it before and we'll do it again if necessary."
Comments are closed on this story.