Here's the link to the petition again:As a member of the U.S. Senate, I look forward to those moments when a bill comes up that gives us a chance do something that unquestionably and clearly helps people.
Click here to Renew VAWAThe Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is one of those bills. VAWA provides funding for violence prevention programs, rape crisis centers and hotlines, legal assistance for female survivors of violence, and other important protections for minority, disabled, and GLBT victims of violent assault
VAWA originally passed the Congress with strong bi-partisan support, and for over 20 years now has provided life-saving protections to millions of women around the country. But now the GOP-controlled House of Representatives has blocked VAWA's reauthorization.
It's true: some Republicans in the House are playing politics with this important bill, and have failed to re-authorize VAWA for over a year now!
Please sign my petition telling the House GOP to pass VAWA immediately and to stop playing politics while the lives of women are at risk.
During my entire career in public service, I've made it a priority to support pro-women policies. But letting crucial domestic abuse programs to expire puts millions of women in harm's way. Violence against women is unacceptable, and it is critical that we do everything we can to ensure that groups dedicated to combating domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking have the resources they need.
Women in Colorado and across our great nation expect better. We cannot allow obstructionism to defeat our efforts.
Please sign my petition asking the House GOP to pass VAWA immediately, and make sure we are not failing in our duty to protect all of our citizens.
Senator Mark Udall
U.S. Senator Mark Udall (D. CO) is gathering signatures for his petition urging House Republicans to stop stalling and pass the Violence Against Women Act:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...283 comments 442 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.