Mr. EclecticCrafter & I are refinancing a mortgage. Recently we received the following email from some lackey at the Title company
I was born overseas to American missionaries. My father lost his faith by the time I was two and my parents returned to the US for grad school.
My father, his brother, and their father raped and sexually abused all of the girls of my generation. My father saw it as his mission to train me in my job as a woman – to sexually please men. I could go into details about the abuse, but that’s not the point of this post. (I spent my early 20s in intense therapy, up to three times a week, and I can say that PTSD is not a life-sentence.) At age 14 my father impregnated me. I can’t tell you whether it was “forcible rape” or not because while I fought many times, sometimes I just lay there crying. Sometimes I was distracting him from my sister, who seemed more fragile than I; sometimes his threat to ruin something I loved was credible enough that I didn't fight; sometimes I was in too much pain to fight. But it was always rape.
Perhaps my “magical lady parts” hadn’t yet learned the whole “shut it down” trick; perhaps I lived in the real world and not in fantasy land. But in no world and at no time was that fetus a gift from God.
I’m giving a workshop on “Privilege in Our Society” this weekend at a UU retreat. I mentioned this several months ago and asked for help. Great folks here lead me to Tim Wise, Facing Race, The back-pack metaphor, the computer game metaphor, and much wonderful stuff. Thanks.
Please keep reading for a new opportunity to help.
I recently asked my daughter how a friend of hers was doing and the reply was, "He's still not comfortable around knives, but other than that he's okay." I asked if he was suicidal and she replied, "no just images." I really want to call her friend and talk to him about strategies for dealing with suicidal ideation and suicidality, but he would not welcome the call.
I've dealt with both in my life and with all the various suicides in the news and the diaries about suicides here on dkos, I thought I'd share some strategies. Maybe my daughter can share the link with her friend and maybe it will help someone here.
Recommended by EclecticCrafter
- Let's begin by being honest. Shaun King is a polarizing figure. He has a very specific point of view when it comes to American police forces and their dealings with African Americans, and he is ...862 comments 435 Recs
- Task and Purpose has a lofty goal for a mere website: Task & Purpose is a news and culture site geared toward the next great generation of American veterans. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are ...7 comments 15 Recs
- In a swift display of Karmic justice, a Milwaukee franchise bar lost its license after the owner's racist ravings caused employees to quit en masse and the activist community rallied their troops. ...104 comments 345 Recs
- Daniel Chong left for 5 days, handcuffed, without food or water or toilet—in a holding cell The LA Times is reporting on Daniel Chong, a 23-year-old UC San Diego engineering student who was ...75 comments 178 Recs
- Has anyone visited the comment section of an MSN news story, which involved police brutality of blacks, or just blacks? If you have, you probably noticed an ill feeling in your gut as you read the ...131 comments 215 Recs
- Congratulations to Els, from North London, for her astounding accomplishment. The 8-year old managed to convince a mega book publisher to stop marketing books that are titled 'for boys' and '...30 comments 239 Recs
- Republican state Sen. Ray Scott congratulated public health officials on the award before voting to defund the program. Colorado ...158 comments 245 Recs
- The Washington Post has published a report based on a leaked document . We don't know who leaked it to them. In it, a prisoner who was placed in the police van some time after Freddie Gray was ...78 comments 93 Recs
- This is apparently a first —an American bank featuring an LGBT couple in a national ad. Wells Fargo follows the couple as they learn sign language for their newly adopted daughter, who is deaf. "27 comments 64 Recs
- There are times when the media really does their best to sicken us all. This ...142 comments 341 Recs
- No current results.