I've read a half dozen diaries on why we lost big in the 2014 elections. They focus on two things: message and the quality of the candidates. Both of these are very important. But there is a bigger reason maybe the real reason we lost this election and have lost other elections in the recent past. When I started to dwell on it a couple of days ago I just got more and more angry. Angry at us. Angry at democrats. Angry at the progressives on this site. Pissed at all the comments about motivating our voters to go to the polls. I was so mad that I had to take a couple of days before I could sit down and calmly write this diary.
I know that we have very little to gloat about this election which is why it is even more important that we take an opportunity to gloat about the victories that we did have yesterday. I live in FL-02 so I have had a great opportunity today to drive around the district and smile every time I saw one of Steve Southerland's stupid red campaign signs. I'm inviting all of you to gloat with me. If you have a local opportunity to gloat please share it with the rest of us in the comments.
Do you want Elizabeth Warren to be president of the United States? Maybe Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton?
In order to have Florida in our corner we need to work now to elect this guy Governor of Florida
I live in north Florida in one of the bluest counties in the state, Gadsden. In the last week I've received a couple of strange campagain call from a group calling itself "Conservatives". The robo call has sound bites of Charlie Crist - Here is the full message that Adam Smith of the Tampa Bay Times included in an article on the calls:
"Hi, this is Charlie Crist calling to set the record straight. I'm prolife. I oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants, I support traditional marriage, and I have never supported a new tax or big spending program. It's sad that in his fourth try for governor my opponent has resorted to distortions and untruths. … Floridians need a consistent, conservative governor that they can trust. I would appreciate your vote on election day. Thank you so much and God bless you, and God bless Florida."The call is from Crist's 2006 primary fight against Tom Gallagher.
The webpage for the play is: Splintered Judgement
The play will be performed July 18, 19 and 20th at Goodwood Museum and Gardens in Tallahassee.
Any Kossack that would like to attend private message me, and I can get you a discount on the tickets.
We hope to video tape it and have it on Youtube after the show runs. Anyone interested in the play let me know. It was originally written as a screenplay so we've had to adapt it a bit for the stage. We are hoping to generate enough interest to produce it as a film.
I didn't fully understand why the national debt was completely irrelevant until I listened to Harry Shearer's October 28, 2012 podcast (transcript). He interviews Dr. Stephanie Kelton, who is an Associate Professor at the University of Missouri Kansas City and a Research Associate at the Levy Institute of New York City. The short of it is that, having gone off the gold standard, the U.S. Government can print the money it needs to pay off the debt or to pay off the interest on the debt. The only things we need to worry about are unemployment and inflation.
The Republicans (and many Democrats) talk about the debt like we are talking about a household's debt, a company's debt or a state's debt. But the U.S. government issues the currency that the debt is paid in. An analogy would be that if your family owned a million dollars you would probably be in deep trouble. You would have the incredibly hard, if not impossible, task of paying the interest and keeping yourself from going bankrupt. But now imagine if I gave you a box that made real money. This box will make as much money as you need. Would you worry about your debt? No. How much you put on credit cards or how many loans you took out would not really matter. The United States has the magic box. We MAKE the money that the interest on our loans is paid in. Of course there is a danger of inflation, but right now the biggest danger to our country is unemployment and underinvestment in education, research and infrastructure. More below the line.
We have all heard the "who would you like to sit down and have a beer with?" question for deciding who to vote for for president. I've found a better question when dealing with the 18 - 45 year old male demographic. This is going to sound stupid to some of you. But I have friends and acquaintances who could careless about politics. My solution for persuading some guys is below the orange bio-hazard squiggle.
Dear Central Committee of the Orange Order, Many of us will be following the landing of the Mars Science Laboratory in the wee hours of Monday, August 6. I think that it would be grand if you could place the orange hand of fate onto one of our science guys and have a live blog of the event. In your most infinite wisdom you have probably already made preparations to have this done - if so please forgive your humble servant for his temerity in making this request. For the members of the proletariat who are unfamiliar with the MSL and the "seven minutes of terror", I will share a few links and some of the info that I have about the Mars' rover, Curiosity, below the fold. Warning: I am not a science guy, just a guy who likes science.
I woke up in the middle of the night with the need to write this diary. I read some of the anti-gun diaries yesterday and the responses and all I could think about was how we were getting it wrong. We were being as thick headed as the republicans. Banning stuff does not prevent bad things from happening - banning guns, abortions, pornography, alcohol, pot, cocaine, role-playing games, first person shooter games doesn't work and doesn't stop people from doing bad things. The problem in America is not that we have these things it that we feel the need to become addicted to or/and obsessed with them. Why? Because we live in a society that often alienates and isolates the individual. We live in a country that doesn't provide health care or mental services to the all those who need them. Holmes could have walked into that theater with Molotov cocktails or some of his homemade bombs and killed hundreds. Banning things (guns, body armor, tear gas ) would not have stopped the tragedy from happening. More rant below the squiggle.
I know that this letter will sound snarky, and I know that I will get lots of "what the hell do you know" comments, but honestly the question I pose is sincere. I'm prepared to be flamed for sticking my nose in something that doesn't concern me, but as we've seen in the last couple of weeks the Catholic Church's policies do have an impact on all of us.
Since I got invited to join Phazebook Progressive Social Networking Group and I accepted the invitation, I feel I should follow through and post a diary about myself. Especially since I think that this is a great idea. I hope this diary is the type of disclosure that Ramshield had in mind. If you want, head down under the squiggling squid and take a look at a wee bit of my life.
I know that a lot of the DK community can't afford to subscribe, and I wish that I could give out some free subscriptions. My wife and I are doing okay, but not great (from our rung on the ladder we can't see the asses of the 1%'ers). However, I also am sure that a lot of the DK community could afford to subscribe so I thought I'd give some of the reasons that I decided to spend the 100 bucks and maybe it will inspire a couple of others to take the plunge.
Recommended by Wisdumb
- You probably don't want to hear this but California is using water left from fracking to water cropsYes, it's the waste water left over from fracking. The fracking liquid that contains chemicals we don't know about. This is the kind of idiocy posing as one solution to the California man-...101 comments 162 Recs
- The Satanic Temple begins legal aid fund to offer exemptions against, and actively challenge, arbitrary, insulting, and outright harmful anti-abortion legislation. The Satanic Temple (TST), ...47 comments 115 Recs
- Does ‘we the people’ matter anymore? Will it always be pay to play for the foreseeable future? Will we ever get our country back? Not the tea party type ‘get our country back’ but actually ...146 comments 74 Recs
- 'It's catastrophic, really. They kill 99 per cent of things they come in contact with". David Barnes, British Antarctic Survey An iceberg 17 miles long, now named B-34 , cracked and broke loose ...46 comments 190 Recs
- 2014 Election results called into question by findings of electronic voting machine security expertsAs Jeremy Epstein notes on his Freedom to Tinker blog , in great detail: "If your States election was held in 2014 using the AVS WinVote touchscreen Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) voting machine,291 comments 310 Recs
- "I want all the media to put their hands up and swear something this election season. I solemnly swear not to talk about Hillary's appearance because that is not journalism." The year is not even ...61 comments 91 Recs
- The insanity of negative interest rates is one of the most under-reported, under-appreciated developments in recent days. For instance, consider this . JPMorgan Chase recently sent a letter to ...133 comments 160 Recs
- if one can take a break from the personality driven politics in the US in a country where 36% of the "citizens" cannot name the current VP and consider that in this country which was the first ...245 comments 256 Recs
- Good riddance. From WaPo: The head of the Drug Enforcement Administration is expected to resign soon, according to U.S. officials, following revelations about “sex parties” involving ...118 comments 198 Recs
- WaPo Headline reads : "FBI overstated forensic hair matches in nearly all trials before 2000" with this lead: The Justice Department and FBI have formally acknowledged that nearly every examiner ...90 comments 152 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.