So I was in a facebook discussion with my tea partying father-in-law today (I love him dearly, even though we disagree on almost everything political). We go through our more civil and our less civil phases--we're in a more civil phase, and I'd like it to stay that way--and the conversation wandered to the Oxford Casino, a fairly recent and no-longer-so-controversial addition to the local economy in this part of the proud state of Maine. My father-in-law wrote that downtown Rumford would've made a much better site, having superior value as a tourist attraction, and several hotels which could be rehabbed to accommodate the casino clientele. And that got me to thinking...I dislike the proliferation of casinos in this country (or anywhere). They sell addictions and produce broken lives. But what could be made of a dying paper town in one of the most beautiful valleys in eastern North America? After a few moments' musing, I thought...of course! A college!
This diary is a bit of a trial balloon. On a site with writers of such intimidating skill as Crashing Vor, DarkSyde and Meteor Blades--hell, even the Caesar-like brevity of Kos and the fucking incisiveness of Fishgrease--I'm in a community where the bar for wordsmithy is pretty high. So I'm tossing this essay out--it's more in the spirit of a letter to the editor, since most of my points are agreed on, and not new to, the DKos clan. I do plan to submit this to some local papers (yes, those quaint anachronisms) as a first step toward entering the fray.
Because these murders at Newtown have put me in mind to enter the fray.
So, please, comment away on how worthy, or worthless, you find this little blurb. Don't be sparing. My aim is to become a better writer, not go plumbing for compliments.
The Republican vision of the world seems like a photo negative, when it's not a static message of hatred for anyone not like themselves. Paul Ryan rephrasing and seconding Mitt Romney's 47% remark is just the latest and most insulting form of this, in a year full of increasingly vicious insults.
Some disconnected thoughts, some new, some which have been in my head for a while, below the squig.
I'm a (very!) infrequent poster to this site (but a newly-minted subscriber!). According to my own account page, I've published three (bad) diaries and commented frequently. Fair enough. I'm posting now not on my own behalf but for someone else, for some people who could use some help.
For being a scientist myself, I've been positively amazed at the work done by diarists here and elsewhere in searching for the truth on what is happening in the water southeast of Venice, LA, and spreading throughout the Gulf.
I'm not sure if I'm more angry or wearied...
A few comparisons from recent American history to keep in mind concerning health care reform.
Recommended by agramante
- This is a series of diaries highlighting animal rescues around the country and noting and celebrating the work they do to help animals who have no voices but ours to speak for them. I have decided ...16 comments 23 Recs
- I had students ask me, just last week, to define "liberal" and "conservative," "left" and "right," and "fascist." A student said that she had heard the labels for a long time, and she got them, sort ...74 comments 82 Recs
- I will openly admit, I've spent the last few days home in bed with a cold, feeling under the weather and just not as participatory as normal. This was announced some time ago, but I thought I'd ...11 comments 21 Recs
- Call for the fainting couch! Pearls for clutching! You're going to have to pardon a bit of a rant but, after watching the reaction to the first presidential debate yesterday and reading/listening to ...649 comments 902 Recs
- Yes, you read that right- Fuck Joe Paterno. And you can HR me, unfollow me, curse me out or do whatever you want for saying that. Have at it. I don't care. I don't care that Joe Paterno is dead. I ...2389 comments 1106 Recs
- RULES OF THE ROAD: Join the discussion about the protests in the current Child Diary HERE.57 comments 476 Recs
- Folks, polls don't close in Alaska until 8PM local time - that's 11PM 9PM in California and 2AM 12AM on the East Coast! So after you've cast votes and done GOTV for your own state, you ...96 comments 407 Recs
- Ok, so I know already posted my GBCW diary a few months back and I still think that both parties are pretty much the same... but ...84 comments 3 Recs
- Please rec the new Mothership #50 here. This one has expired. The current ROV DIARY : Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #204 -42 comments 465 Recs
- Please rec the new Mothership #49 here. This one has expired The current ROV DIARY : Daily Kos Gulf Watchers ROV #201 -11 comments 539 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.