I've seen surprisingly few diaries on DU here, so I thought I'd write one, partially also because I'm trying to work through my own thoughts. It's worthy of reflection simply because it will probably be the most popular film about slavery of all time. But it's doubly worthy of reflection because, as I think most people will realize, it's one of the most thoughtless films about slavery of all time. What does it mean about us that we, as a culture, are only able to encounter slavery through a film like this--that purifies us of our sins through a massacre that never can happen; and that leaves the audience without any awareness of their own contemporary participation in the effects of slavery? Anyway, I have three thoughts, I'd love to hear everyone else's too:
Daily Kos memberGive a gift subscription to this user
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Recommended by beauview
- Over at Rolling Stone Magazine’s website, Matt Taibbi has just posted his feature story which will appear in the January 17th issue of the publication. Personally, due to the sheer power of both ...395 comments 559 Recs
- The stars, the moon, the planets and the celestial bodies all seem to be aligning Kossacks. In the latest CBS poll (Nov 1), Barack Obama leads John McCain 54 to 41%. So for ...120 comments 56 Recs
- This is NOT how you stay on message. Lawrence Eagleburger, a McCain advisor and one of the fave five ...41 comments 53 Recs
- The last few hours have been nothing short of astounding. Since Congresswoman Michele Bachmann appeared on MSNBC’s Hardball earlier tonight, there’s been a deluge of support unlike ...1201 comments 2028 Recs
- Obviously, it's pretty clear that he's a conservative based on this interview . Republicans tend to bring in ...139 comments 63 Recs
- Link to video after the jump. I have never seen a Democratic strategist go toe to toe with right-wing hack Sean Hannity and come out on top. Turn the questions around to him and make him answer for ...82 comments 72 Recs
- Most people have probably heard that Palin pulled the old 'Obama Knows Bill Ayers!' line out of the garbage, today. The press extensively covered her comments at a rally in Clearwater, Florida, but ...844 comments 1368 Recs
- Very brief b/c no transcript or video yet, but:304 comments 62 Recs
- 152 comments 67 Recs
- What's the FCC fine for that? Anyone? It'469 comments 293 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.