This is a message to activists trying to fight the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Stop calling the TPP a "trade" agreement. TPP is a corporate/investor rights agreement, not a "trade" agreement. "Trade" is a good thing; TPP is not. Every time you use the word "trade" in association with the TPP, you are helping the other side.
The president says the pubic can’t see the text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership because it is still being negotiated. So let us see the parts that are not still being negotiated.
As the Senate begins consideration today of the "fast track" trade promotion authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, President Obama says that Sen. Elizabeth Warren is expressing concerns because she is "a politician."
Fast track essentially pre-approves the secret Trans-Pacific Partnership. With a vote coming as soon as Tuesday Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has not yet spoken out for or against fast track.
In Nike, a company that grew by outsourcing jobs to overseas sweatshops, President Obama may well have found the perfect place to promote yet another job-destroying, billionaire-enriching trade deal.
A key section of the secret Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement has been leaked to the public. The New York Times has a major story on the contents of the leaked chapter and it's as bad as many of us feared.
Now we know why the corporations and the Obama administration want TPP, a huge "trade" agreement being negotiated between the United States and 11 other countries, kept secret from the public until it's too late to stop it.
If people understood the trade deficit and the harm it does, they would demand that our politicians do something to fix it. And if that happened great things would happen for working people and our economy.
Eight senators let the country know there is going to be a fight over fast track trade authority and the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Sen. Bernie Sanders said, "Enough is enough. This country now is in a major race to the bottom."
The Conservative/Wall Street/1 Percent/Republican anti-government strategy is to set government up to fail (usually by starving it of funding). Then they point to the resulting "crisis" they created and say it proves that government doesn't work so we should "privatize" it – in other words, rig the system against We the People by handing our common wealth over to a few wealthy people to harvest for personal profit.
Now they're coming for the U.S. Postal Service.
To sell a new trade pact, President Obama's State of the Union address is expected to feature a small business that increased its exports after we signed the South Korea free trade agreement. What is the real record?
If people come to understand and worry about the very real trade deficit, they will demand policies that are very good for regular, working people, and "Main Street" businesses that make or do things in America.
It is worth examining how the process was rigged to push that budget deal through Congress over the weekend that contained Citibank-written derivative deregulation and all kinds of other goodies for the rich and powerful. That's because the "cromnibus" formula will be formalized in the next big deal, in a process called "fast track."
Recommended by davej
- I guess the North Carolina Board of Governors educational planning committee for the University educational system didn't think these programs were important to our ...231 comments 189 Recs
- Mark Weisbrot , writing at Aljazeera is of the opinion that the public discussion of the TPP has been much more robust than discussion of NAFTA had ever been. And that ...132 comments 250 Recs
- Tears well as a tsunami of emotion rises in me threatening to break through my skin and fill the world. All it takes is a song, a word, a memory - and I rumble like an earthquake down where the deep ...305 comments 306 Recs
- 177 comments 366 Recs
- Just saw Senate voting on Motion to Advance on CSpan, Durbin a no, but next two brought vote to 60. Not sure how many are Dems, vote is continuing. Damn. How does this continue to happen, and ...20 comments 24 Recs
- The Iraqi regime possesses biological and chemical weapons, is rebuilding the facilities to make more and, according to the British government, could launch a biological or chemical attack in as ...471 comments 629 Recs
- Politico's nothingburger story on Warren's ...82 comments 105 Recs
- This is a picture I'd turn into a "Wanted" poster, maybe circulate in every election district in the 13 states represented by these folks. It says it all--thanks to the AFL-CIO.66 comments 27 Recs
- U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals has denied former Gov. Don Siegelman's bid for a new trial. The first footnote says "Because this case has complicated facts and a complex ...13 comments 26 Recs
- Reading through numerous diaries about TPP here, I have seen many comments that even shock those who wrote them. Comments like "I can't believe it, but I support the tea party on this issue". These ...19 comments 18 Recs
- No current results.