The 700 Club comes on at 11pm on my cable ABC Family in place of standard programming. I usually reach for the remote to immediately change it. Tonight I wasn't quick enough and the next thing I know Pat Robertson is telling me about a Jeb Bush fundraising event in New York City that cost $100,000 per plate. Without expressing any dismay or negativity to that number he immediately transitions to the fact that 46 million Americans are getting food stamps. This number however has him and his pretty co-host shaking their heads in disapproval.
I have been having a tag comments with a legal expert here at Daily Kos about the Hobby Lobby decision. Needless to say I've become rather disillusioned that there would be any solution at all.
My Grandmother was an outspoken supporter of birth control back in the 1930's and 1940's. I did not think I would be fighting this fight in the 21st century for my daughters. I'm sick of this being allowed to become a divisive cultural issue rather than settled law.
I had two hours to kill on Sunday afternoon and decided to spend it at the movies. I had wanted to see "Chef" when it came out but it seemed like they released it to a limited audience. Happily today it just appeared in our area and I sat through a nice little movie.
Follow me below the squiggle for more.
What a day! First Nebraska passed an abortion ban which is a challenge to our constitution rights and now Arizona has decided to follow that up with a law that would require police officers to arrest people they suspect of being illegal immigrants.
On Sunday I was amazed to hear a Republican take an entirely rational tack to the whole Healthcare debate. Anyone within the Republican party that has uttered rational thoughts regarding the Republicans, Limbaugh, Beck, or the Tea Partiers has been forced to recant effectively shutting out all the moderates in the Republican party. It looks like Frum is now a victim of the extremism he denounced. Any wonder the craziness of the last few days has been minimized?
Just sharing a bit of sad news that probably hasn't been noticed because of the DADT coverage.
I saw this on CNN here and thought I would do a quick diary.
A source close to Murtha told CNN he is in the intensive care unit of the hospital. The source asked not to be identified, saying the matter is sensitive in nature.
The 77-year-old Democrat underwent scheduled laparoscopic surgery to remove his gallbladder last week, said spokesman Matthew Mazonkey. "Complications did arise from the surgery, and he is currently at the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington," he said.
I was in our office breakroom heating up my lunch yesterday when a coworker came up to me and asked me how much weight I've lost and wanted to know what kind of diet I'm on. I've lost about forty pounds in the last two months because of illness so instead of sharing the horrible details that I'm sure is more than she bargained for I've been putting off this rather persistent colleague with vague answers. Yesterday she was like a dog with a bone though and wouldn't let it go. Atkins, Weight Watchers, Low Carb and on and on..... I finally had enough and blurted out that I'm on the radiation starvation diet. You would think that would have stopped her right? Guess again....she said (I kid you not) "Well it looks like it's working for you"!!! WTF??
Seriously, I know we have a culture that equates "thin" with attractive however there is just something wrong with the idea of being thin at any price. Which brings me to why we should care.
I can't bring myself to say this word out loud to anyone I love yet. It's like I feel if I say it out loud it makes it real. Up till now it's just been this scary word. A concept really, that applies to other people.
I know.......it sounds crazy that I can write about it here with perfect strangers to pick apart and criticize but can't bring myself to talk to people that care about me. For some reason it's easier so I am go to use this diary as a cathartic.
You've problably guessed it already. The word I'm afraid to utter out loud is cancer. Today I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer.
Yesterday, Michelle Obama did something really nice. She went to a homeless shelter in Washington D.C. and served meals to the homeless. She even brought with her food donations by the White House. You would think this would be a nice little blurb about how the First Lady is doing good works.
This video is the funniest thing I've seen all week. I've seen quite a few comedians lament Obama's election because they just don't see how they can mock the first black president without people thinking it's offensive. My opinion is no one is untouchable and it's important we can find the humor in our politicians. Jump below the fold and let me know what you think.
Three weeks ago my twenty year old daughter came home and told me she had registered to vote. Caroline was really excited about being able to vote for the first time and being able to cast her vote for Barack Obama.
However she was disturbed by her experience in registering to vote.
This Los Angles Times article shows many voters have been duped into registering as Republicans.
Jacoby's arrest by state investigators and the Ontario Police Department late Saturday came after dozens of voters said they were duped into registering as Republicans by people employed by YPM
Her story continues below the fold:
Fox is playing this video that has just been released by the McCain campaign.
Barack Obama - Too Risky for America
Is this the really big news they were promising today? Smear your opponent and play the fear card. Who did he learn that tactic from??? His best friend Bush!
Recommended by gtghawaii
- While I've been hesitant to join in some of the more heated conversations about these topics of late, I have read with interest a few diaries and comment threads related to them. Forgive me for ...311 comments 140 Recs
- I guess it didn't hit me until I started posting diaries on Daily Kos yesterday, but it seems to be a sport among some readers to trash contributors. One of the things that conservatives find so ...357 comments 40 Recs
- Last week in Texas, a Republican lawmaker proposed an amendment so outrageous, that even some of his own GOP colleagues were repulsed. ...534 comments 364 Recs
- Congratulations to Els, from North London, for her astounding accomplishment. The 8-year old managed to convince a mega book publisher to stop marketing books that are titled 'for boys' and '...30 comments 236 Recs
- Good evening, Kossacks, and welcome to WYFP. First, here is a word from our sponsors: WYFP is our community's Saturday evening gathering to talk about our problems, empathize with one another, and ...148 comments 83 Recs
- Democrats are trying to create a bit more transparency around campaign ads ...18 comments 128 Recs
- Today, Baltimore State Attorney Marilyn Mosby charged six police officers in connection with the death of Freddie Gray. The fundamental question we have to ask ourselves is, does the law mean ...4 comments 3 Recs
- [UPDATE] Thanks @HillaryClinton . Looking forward to debating the big issues: income inequality, climate change & getting big money out of politics. — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) April 30, ...388 comments 283 Recs
- American Taliban It's the ...188 comments 136 Recs
- She's overseeing Freddie Gray case; both parents, grandfather, 2 aunts, 3 uncles are police officersMarilyn Mosby 5/1 UPDATE: Marilyn Mosby just charged all six officers with crimes ranging from assault to murder in the death of Freddie Gray. I seriously doubted that someone with such deep ties ...398 comments 209 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.