There are plenty of myths and misrepresentations on charter schools and school of choice and plenty of them are coming from our side of the political divide. The first thing that I would like to point out is that yes there is definitely potential for abuse in the existing charter school laws in this country and no there is likely too little oversight. But Charter schools also provide opportunity, opportunity to try new and innovative teaching ideas or to try the hundred year old methods that worked great prior to the post WWII corporatization of US schools. They provide poor children the opportunity to receive the same education that rich kids get. And in a district with an average class size of over 30 it allows at least some students to experience the feeling of really mattering, of not just being another face in the crowd or a number on a budget spreadsheet. Dive on in to find out more about my school.
Daily Kos memberGive a gift subscription to this user
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Recommended by leftinCO
- Michael F. Bennet has been a Senator for more than five years now, but it is not clear that he has completely figured out what it will take to hang on to his seat in purple Colorado. Read on to see ...7 comments 4 Recs
- Let me start be stating that I am a lurker, on the fringes of our community and just reading the stories and comments. This forum is a great place to get the real news, and see there is hope for us ...25 comments 17 Recs
- Cross posted from Real Economics . According to an analysis by Pulitzer-Prize winning reporter David Cay Johnston , the Bush tax cuts, rather than resulting in great general ...220 comments 415 Recs
- Best ...157 comments 812 Recs
- As someone who communicates a lot about race and politics, I spend more of my time than I should arguing with Republicans about why black people are ...112 comments 98 Recs
- I was in a rush. I had decided to pick up birthday flowers for the wife from a local florist, but found it closed. Out of business. I went to another location, same deal. Tough days in the flower ...54 comments 237 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.