This came from "Catholics for Obama" facebook page. It is the best discussion and summation of the Papal Election I have seen. Enjoy!
On the second day of December in 1980, four US women working for peace and justice in El Salvador were brutally murdered by the military forces of that country:
Laywoman Jean Donovan, Ursuline Sister Dorothy Kazel, and two Maryknoll missionary sisters, Maura Clarke and Ita Ford. Due to the politics of both the Reagan administration and Pope John Paul II, these women were often spoken of as radical Communists seeking to overthrow the government of El Salvador instead of the loving, kind, hard working women striving to help people oppressed by both poverty and war. In fact, Alexander Haig and Ambassador to the UN Kilpatrick both made statements implying the four churchwomen caused their own deaths. And the cold response of Pope John Paul II that the clergy and religious were not to be involved in political struggles did not help bring any justice to the situation.
Recommended by moonbatlulu
- Comhghairdeas, Éire! Huffington Post has an article on the results: here . "We're the first country in the world to enshrine marriage equality in our constitution and do so by popular mandate. ...44 comments 42 Recs
- Almost every day on Facebook, Twitter, or some other social media, I see a conservative ranting away with how the Republican Party is the party of, ahem, “good Christian values” Often ...253 comments 282 Recs
- The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings It's hard to figuratively pick up the newspaper these without seeing something concerning ...99 comments 110 Recs
- One thing you can say about Texas, their nutty Tea-baggers can always surprise the hell out of you. Just when you thought it would be impossible for a Texas Governor to come along and make Rick ...163 comments 153 Recs
- Far too many of the already-declared and yet-to-declare candidates for President invoke G-d or Christianity -- both as way of ingratiating themselves directly to (Christian) voters as well as a way ...36 comments 16 Recs
- Baltimore State's Attorney: Freddie Gray's death was a homicide and criminal charges will be pursuedOn Friday morning, Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced that the death of Freddie Gray has been ruled a homicide and that criminal charges will be pursued.663 comments 344 Recs
- President Obama appeared at the White House Correspondents' Dinner this weekend. The president was self-deprecating at times. He continued to milk the "Obama as a foreign Muslim" angle to loud ...107 comments 228 Recs
- For most of his life, Jimmy Carter has been an advocate for human rights. In 1982, one year after leaving the Oval Office, the former US President and his wife Rosalynn Carter, founded ...603 comments 784 Recs
- Alice Barker enjoying the rare footage her friends were able to find. The most delightful video of the day. Alice Barker is 102 years old and thanks friends and volunteers at her nursing home in ...94 comments 332 Recs
- Deputy Bob Bates, left. Police kneeing Eric Harris in the head after being shot by Bob Bates. This is what white privilege looks like. Charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of Eric ...222 comments 211 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.